The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Screwed up with no time elapsed

Boys JV last night. I'm the R (two-man) and administer the jump ball. First of all, my partner lines up almost in a Umpire three-man position instead of right by the table. Oh well, I just go ahead and toss, they both get a piece of it and Team A jumper grabs the ball. In that instant, I'm thinking that this should be a violation but 1) the whistle's not back in my mouth yet and 2) by the time I get the whistle back in my mouth I'm thinking "isn't U1 (my partner) responsible for this violation?". A moment later a kid from Team B says "he can't do that" and I'm thinking "you're right, he can't but now it's too late to blow the whistle without looking like idiots". Then, as play continues I'm thinking "we probably look like idiots anyway, what a way to start the game". Actually, I didn't hear any more protests about it but it took a good minute to shake it off in my head. Later, my partner and I discussed it and both agreed we blew the call.

I don't have my official's manual with me. Is the U1 responsible for these types of violations? Not that it exonerates the R (me, in this instance) since I can still step in and make the right call, however, oftentimes you are just trying to stay out of the way.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:38am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo21
I don't have my official's manual with me. Is the U1 responsible for these types of violations?
Yes. Especially since, as you point out, the R doesn't have a whistle in his/her mouth.

Quote:
Not that it exonerates the R (me, in this instance) since I can still step in and make the right call, however, oftentimes you are just trying to stay out of the way.
This is exactly right. If you can get the whistle in your mouth quickly (before the area has been cleared), then blow it yourself. But most times, you're just trying not to get hit.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I heard a year or so back where the same thing happened to another ref in my chapter. He yelled "Tweet!" to stop play. It was at the 8th grade level I think and kids stopped playing as if it were an actual whistle.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:11am
PYRef

Actually, according to the official's manual, the R tossing is primarily responsible for the actions of the two jumpers and the U is responsible for everyone else.
In all practicality though, it is easier for the U to blow this violation since the R doesn't have the whistle in his/her mouth yet.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Two man game. I'm U at jump to open game. R makes a bad toss. Before I could blow my whistle, he already had his whistle in his mouth and TWEET! Whistled his own bad throw!! Yikes he was fast.....and I was slow.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I had this once. The whistle felt out of my mouth before I could blow the whistle. I said "stop" and everyone did. I described what happened and stated that this was a violation. Nobody complained. A couple fans even gave me a nice call when I was standing near them minutes later. The right thing to do is to call it - even if it's 2 seconds late. People will understand the situation. If they don't, then they're there for the wrong reasons.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO you need to go get this, even if it's a second or two late. It can set a bad tone for the game to miss the first, obvious violation. I'd rather start the game with a (slightly) late whistle for a call that everybody knows is right. I think it sends the message that the crew is "in the game" from the very beginning.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Opening toss. A1 and B1 jump for the ball which is tossed straight up over the division line. A1 appears to touch the ball in it's downward flight, and the umpire chops the clock. Ball hits the floor. A1 & B1 just stand there for a moment, then A1 secures the ball and advances it into his front court.

Legal?
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
Opening toss. A1 and B1 jump for the ball which is tossed straight up over the division line. A1 appears to touch the ball in it's downward flight, and the umpire chops the clock. Ball hits the floor. A1 & B1 just stand there for a moment, then A1 secures the ball and advances it into his front court.

Legal?
Yes. The official judged A1 to have touched the ball, jump ball restrictions ended when the ball hit the floor, therefore either jumper can now catch the ball.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I'd just like to point out that this should be a mistake that occurred after some time has elapsed. The clock starts on the first legal touching of the ball (i.e., A1 and B1 tipping it), NOT when a team gains control!

(Sorry - but it's one of my pet peeves. Especially when I see D-I officials get it wrong.)