The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Good Lord...NEVER again...This time I mean it!

I've stated before that I mainly ref middle school competitive leagues/AAU stuff and a local youth rec program that I am on the Board of Directors for, with the occassional Freshman/JV aged game at a local hoops facility where I live.

I swore 7 years ago when I started reffing that I'd NEVER take a men's rec league cause I used to play in one and I know how much of an A$$ the players can be...especially the 21-25 age group...

Well, I got that call tonite...my scheduler at the facility was in a jam and knows I live about 10 minutes away ....Afterall, it was only 2 games and the extra $ next week will help with the holiday expenses (plus my wife was recently downsized out of her job)...so I agreed!

WHY WHY WHY?

First game was and older group of guys probably about my age 35-40 playing for the fun and exercise...a few questions about some calls and no calls but all in all pretty respectful...

Second game was that 21-25 group I mentioned earlier...20 minute running halves.....about 10 minutes in the jawing started...3 minutes later the F-bombs and pushing each other happened between 4 guys...Partner blew the game dead and told them it was a forefit and that we were not dealing with this...so we walked off the court...

Went to the scheduler...both "team captains" came over...they talked with scheduler, he asked us if we would continue if they cleaned up the BS....we agreed....Before we put the ball in play, I took the two "captains" at HC and told them they were here to play ball and if they wanted to fight I would let them leave the game early to do so...told them we didn't want to hear ANY more trash talking and if we did it would result in immediate ejection....First half finished with one player getting tossed with about 3 minutes left for yelling at my partner "Are you going to call a F-ing foul?"...He sure did...

Rest of game was played pretty clean....but...

Never again...never again...
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 10:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

There have been more than a few top local (to me) officials who have decided to not do local wreck leagues anymore. The players often ask whey these certain officials are and the best answer is the honest one: "they've chosen not to ref these games because of the BS."
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 06:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
There have been more than a few top local (to me) officials who have decided to not do local wreck leagues anymore. The players often ask whey these certain officials are and the best answer is the honest one: "they've chosen not to ref these games because of the BS."
We "choose" not to ref these games because there are enough games out there and we CAN choose not to do em! Who needs the hassle?

Of course, every now and again we get a brain freeze and accept one......
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Why do we take adult leagues?

One league I work in plays more than double what I usually get for an adult league. I actually don't work too many of those games due to my work schedule. However, the assignor is a pretty nice guy so I help him out about once (occassionally twice) a season since my work schedule is a little tight.

YOu know some assignors and they always need refs. WHile it is a preference not work adult leagues, I give some time to assignors I know better and try to help them out when I can.

Of course, when the crap happens, there are usually a couple of thoughts that cross my mind:

1. "Oh God, 2 more games of this crap"
2. "When's the check coming?"