The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   8 sec violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40128-8-sec-violation.html)

riden Wed Dec 05, 2007 04:35pm

8 sec violation

Simple question

My league follows FIBA rules this year, we had been NCAA.

You have 8 secs to get across mid court

When does that 8 sec count begin?

I thought it starts as soon as the ball is threw the hoop, colleagues say I am wrong.

jdw3018 Wed Dec 05, 2007 04:38pm

No idea about FIBA rules. But if it mirrors NFHS or NCAA on backcourt counts, the count starts once control is established inbounds...

riden Wed Dec 05, 2007 04:52pm

You are right, I looked it up.

I watched a horrible game the other day, a jr girls team took forever to get the ball inbounded. Ball woudl lie on the ground, they would slowly mosey over. Happened too much and the official only warned the players.

Can this qualify as a 5 sec violation?

Adam Wed Dec 05, 2007 04:55pm

When players are unreasonably slow in picking the ball up, I will start my count.

jdw3018 Wed Dec 05, 2007 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
When players are unreasonably slow in picking the ball up, I will start my count.

Agreed. I deem the ball to be at their disposal when the thrower could get to the ball in what I deem to be a normal time frame.

They don't have to sprint over there, but if I judge the player a "time-waster" the count starts.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 05, 2007 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by riden
Simple question

I thought it starts as soon as the ball is threw the hoop, colleagues say I am wrong.

FIBA's criteria as to when the count starts is the same as NFHS, NCAA Men's & Women's, and NBA/WNBA.

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 05, 2007 05:08pm

Last week, I had a 9 second violation. I called 3 seconds in the key on three players at the same time. I actually said, "3 seconds - there, there and there (as I pointed at the players), so 9 seconds". The table crew and my partner laughed. The coach of the offending team didn't.

Ref_in_Alberta Wed Dec 05, 2007 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by riden
Simple question

From a fellow FIBA official...

The 8 sec backcourt count starts once the team that is advancing the ball gains control whether on a inbounds play or a turnover.

Remember if the "new" defence deflects the ball OOB in the backcourt the count does not reset.

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 05, 2007 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Last week, I had a 9 second violation. I called 3 seconds in the key on three players at the same time. I actually said, "3 seconds - there, there and there (as I pointed at the players), so 9 seconds". The table crew and my partner laughed. The coach of the offending team didn't.

He was prolly busy trying to add it all up, and struggling ;)

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Dec 05, 2007 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
From a fellow FIBA official...

The 8 sec backcourt count starts once the team that is advancing the ball gains control whether on a inbounds play or a turnover.

Remember if the "new" defence deflects the ball OOB in the backcourt the count does not reset.

Interesting. So in FIBA, is there team control during a throw-in?:rolleyes:

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:51am

I got it! Eight seconds is ten seconds in metric! :rolleyes:

Ref_in_Alberta Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Interesting. So in FIBA, is there team control during a throw-in?:rolleyes:

There is team control on a throw-in, once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower in. However to clarify the 8-sec back court does not start until the status of the ball is live and the clock starts in the case of a stopped clock period. Obviously after a made basket when the clock is still running, team control starts when the ball is at the disposal. The b/c count starts when the ball is controlled on the court.

canuckref Thu Dec 06, 2007 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
There is team control on a throw-in, once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower in. However to clarify the 8-sec back court does not start until the status of the ball is live and the clock starts in the case of a stopped clock period. Obviously after a made basket when the clock is still running, team control starts when the ball is at the disposal. The b/c count starts when the ball is controlled on the court.

just for clarity from fiba:

28.2.1 Whenever a player gains control of a live ball in his backcourt, his team must cause the ball to go into its frontcourt within eight (8) seconds.

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 06, 2007 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckref
just for clarity from fiba:

28.2.1 Whenever a player gains control of a live ball in his backcourt, his team must cause the ball to go into its frontcourt within eight (8) seconds.

Does doing it telepathically count? :confused:

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 06, 2007 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Does doing it telepathically count? :confused:

Let me think about it.......