The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Bittersweet Return (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40124-bittersweet-return.html)

BBall_Junkie Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:08pm

Bittersweet Return

Well, I made my officiating debut this season on Monday and followed it up with another game on Tuesday. I say bittersweet, because the fact that I have returned to the court means that my wife is no longer here and requiring my care, but it felt so good to get out there and have people yell at me, run the court with some old buddies and run some air through my lungs... I have missed it and it felt great to be back out there!

I would like to say thank you to all of you who posted your condolences on this website through the thread that Brad posted, via private message, personal email or comments on my blog.

It is a very tough time for me, my kids, extended family and friends. Thank you so much for caring.

I still have huge plans for making a run at cancer this year through the fund raising program I mention earlier. I know one person IM'd me wanting details and due to the recent events have not had a chance to respond. I will post details on how you can help (if you want to) in the very near future.

Thanks again! For as much as we bicker sometimes, this is a great group of people to be associated with.

Best Regards,

Brendan

Coltdoggs Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:43pm

Brendan,

We don't know each other but I read about your situation...I'm glad that you are back on the court..I'm sure the game is better with you there as well...

Stay strong and keep your faith stronger...

C-Doggs
Mike

BillyMac Wed Dec 05, 2007 07:14pm

Condolences

From BBall_Junkie: "but it felt so good to get out there and have people yell at me, run the court with some old buddies and run some air through my lungs"

My condolences.

A while back someone posted a thread asking why we officiate. I think that BBall_Junkie's quote (above) says a lot about why we do this.

tomegun Wed Dec 05, 2007 08:29pm

I'm glad you are back man. I'm someone who knows you and has officiated with you. It hurts me to know what you are going through. If you need me for absolutely anything you know how to get in touch with me and I hope to see you soon in Vegas or Houston.

Take care.

rockyroad Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29pm

Glad you got back out there Junkie. So sorry to hear about your loss...but as much as we gripe at each other as officials, we are a family. A little bit of a weird family, but still a family. With family is where you need to be now. If you are ever in the Portland, OR or SW Washington area, let me know - I will do anything to help you out.

DJ Millay

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 06, 2007 02:14am

I know what you mean about getting out on the floor. There is something very therapeutic about what we do. Doubly so in your case as it would seem to signal the beginning of moving on with your life.

blindzebra Thu Dec 06, 2007 03:44am

I understand completely.

My mom was in intensive care a week away from hospice and two weeks away from passing last year when I did my state final.

After almost two months of hospitals, worry and accepting what was coming, getting on the court was my only vacation from it all.

It never leaves you, but getting out there doing what you love is the best kind of distraction.

Be strong.

ace Tue Dec 11, 2007 01:22am

hopefully we can get the old Hooters gang together after a game soon!!!

Glad your back man. Your family has been an inspiration, and your strength is admirable.

bigwhistle Wed Dec 12, 2007 09:33am

I worked with B last night and he was able to finally get some much needed stress release. He T'd up his first coach of the season. He had gotten a kid a few nights earlier, but said that the coach was much better ;)