The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   L o n g Game! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40118-l-o-n-g-game.html)

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 05, 2007 01:33pm

L o n g Game!

Boys JV game - 1st of season for both teams. Schools are archrivals and mortal enemies. Partner and I are filling in for another pair because we had our varsity game rescheduled. We knew we were going to have to be at our best.

First foul called with only 3 seconds off the clock. We called - believe it or not - a new record at least for us - a total of 89 fouls that night. :( The AD emailed this to us the following morning - congratulating us on keeping the game in control. Out of all the calls - the only comment/question from either coach came on a jump ball. He said my whistle was a little quick - that the players had to both grasp the ball for 2-3 seconds before that call could be made. I smiled and said I believed it was simultaneous possession and we were going with my whistle. He laughed and admitted that even if I was wrong it was kind a lame complaint in that game.

Anyone else with L O N G games this year?

jdw3018 Wed Dec 05, 2007 01:38pm

Wow...89 fouls would take care of most of the players on some of the teams I've seen this year...had one last night with 6 players. At 45 fouls/team (average, obviously) and 12 team members (just guessing) that would mean three players with three fouls and nine with four, if nobody fouled out. I'm guessing you had a couple disqualified players?

I had a long one last week - girls JV that seemed to last an eternity. Even higher than normal number of held balls, violations, etc., and a decently high number of fouls, though nothing crazy. Game had to have lasted more than 1.5 hours, which is pretty darn long considering 6 min. quarters...

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 05, 2007 01:50pm

Since I don't allow overtimes, I really never have long games. :D

Adam Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:05pm

JVB last night, we held the varsity game up with an overtime. Home team was down by one with time running out in regulation. My partner calls a foul with .5 seconds left, putting the shooter on the line where he proceeded to shoot 50%.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
JVB last night, we held the varsity game up with an overtime. Home team was down by one with time running out in regulation. My partner calls a foul with .5 seconds left, putting the shooter on the line where he proceeded to shoot 50%.

Did you tell your partner the overtime was "his fault"? :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Did you tell your partner the overtime was "his fault"? :rolleyes:

He knew. During the timeout preceeding the first free throw, he said he sure hoped the shooter made both shots; or none.

During the timeout preceeding the 2nd free throw, he reiterated his hope that the shooter made both.

No such luck.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:14pm

Quote:

He knew. During the timeout preceeding the first free throw, he said he sure hoped the shooter made both shots; or none.

During the timeout preceeding the 2nd free throw, he reiterated his hope that the shooter made both.

No such luck.

Haven't you heard of lane violations? :rolleyes:

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:21pm

Overtime - what's overtime?

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:23pm

Hey - partner just called with great idea. He figures since we already called 89 fouls this week - we're good for the week. The rest of our games he said we can just call violations! Hmmmmmm not a bad idea huh?

Adam Wed Dec 05, 2007 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Haven't you heard of lane violations? :rolleyes:

We'd already reached our max of those for the game.

One on red when two players decided, just as I was bouncing the ball to the white shooter, to switch places. It actually cost white, though, as they got the rebound about 2 feet from the hoop. Player made the 2nd shot.

One on white when, after his coach was done talking to him, he came running in and crossed the 3 pt. line after the shooter had the ball. FT shooter missed his 2nd opportunity.

Coltdoggs Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:38pm

I've had only two of these that I can recall....Wasn't 84 fouls though...Damn!!

I call em the 50/50 games...50 fouls, 50 turnovers...not fun!

Smitty Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:42pm

Why do so many people think overtime is bad? I love overtime games.

justacoach Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:54pm

Quote:

One on red when two players decided, just as I was bouncing the ball to the white shooter, to switch places.

Snaqs:

Not apparent from your description but was the ball at the disposal of the shooter before or after red players were moving about?

Adam Wed Dec 05, 2007 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach
Snaqs:

Not apparent from your description but was the ball at the disposal of the shooter before or after red players were moving about?

Sorry. :)
As the shooter caught the ball, the two defenders were just leaving their initial spaces to play musical chairs.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 05, 2007 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty
Why do so many people think overtime is bad? I love overtime games.

I'll send you some meds. :p