The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T on Home for non white uniforms (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39970-t-home-non-white-uniforms.html)

Ref in PA Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:04pm

T on Home for non white uniforms

I thought I could find this in the books but could not.

If Team A (Home) does not have white uniforms and we start with technical fouls, how are the techs charged?

Against coach as indirect? I say no.
Against team foul count? I say yes.
Against the player toward disqualification? I say yes.

As best as I can determine the T is for wearing an illegal uniform and therefore falls under 10-3-2. Is that correct?

joseph2493 Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA

If Team A (Home) does not have white uniforms and we start with technical fouls, how are the techs charged?

As best as I can determine the T is for wearing an illegal uniform and therefore falls under 10-3-2. Is that correct?

Per 10-3-2 it is a player technical. It is charged toward the player, no indirect to the coach. It is charged toward the team foul count and toward disqualification as well.

You can also find this on the technical foul penalty page 72

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by joseph2493
Per 10-3-2 it is a player technical. It is charged toward the player, no indirect to the coach. It is charged toward the team foul count and toward disqualification as well.

You can also find this on the technical foul penalty page 72

Unless you are in IL then you just scowl and shake your finger at them, and send a report to the IHSA:D

BEAREF Fri Nov 30, 2007 02:41pm

Or in Minnesota, where home team wears dark and VISITORS wear white :rolleyes:

chartrusepengui Fri Nov 30, 2007 02:45pm

:D In Wis we aren't even supposed to scowl - just send a report to the WIAA

chartrusepengui Fri Nov 30, 2007 02:48pm

Ya know - it really sox for the players - who don't even buy or provide the uniforms in the first place. Poor kid's are wearing what has been provided and then get knocked with a T that goes towards their disqualification - for an entire season. :(

Back In The Saddle Fri Nov 30, 2007 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Ya know - it really sox for the players - who don't even buy or provide the uniforms in the first place. Poor kid's are wearing what has been provided and then get knocked with a T that goes towards their disqualification - for an entire season. :(

Yep. Although just thing what a boost to the economy this could turn into if all those kids, with all that disposable income, all go buy their own white jerseys. :cool:

Ref_in_Alberta Fri Nov 30, 2007 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA

As an official who does not referee under NFHS rules, could someone please explain the logic behind this uniform rule?

Under FIBA rules, the rule states the Home team shall wear a light colored uniform HOWEVER if both teams agree the Home team may wear a dark colored uniform.

I'm having a little trouble understanding how this type of T improves the game.

Any feedback is appreciated...

Adam Fri Nov 30, 2007 03:47pm

My theory?

Too many teams had darker "light" uniforms (such as gold) and lighter "dark" uniforms (such as gold) that led to the occasional problem.

The simplest way to address the problem was to have home teams always wear white. The T only improves the game in this case in the long run, by providing a serious deterrent to schools for non-compliance.

kbilla Fri Nov 30, 2007 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
As an official who does not referee under NFHS rules, could someone please explain the logic behind this uniform rule?

Under FIBA rules, the rule states the Home team shall wear a light colored uniform HOWEVER if both teams agree the Home team may wear a dark colored uniform.

I think the rule is to just bring some consistency in. What does it mean that both teams "agree"? What if the home team was under the impression that there was agreement, but the visiting team was not and you have two teams that show up wearing red? This just gives you a fall back, no matter what this is what you wear and then we never have a problem. It's not like they just sprung this on anyone, how long has it been 4 years that they have been saying that this is coming? The T I suppose is the only real way to get schools to respond....I'm guessing this was proably an issue at some point or they wouldn't have created the rule...

Stat-Man Fri Nov 30, 2007 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
I think the rule is to just bring some consistency in. What does it mean that both teams "agree"? What if the home team was under the impression that there was agreement, but the visiting team was not and you have two teams that show up wearing red? This just gives you a fall back, no matter what this is what you wear and then we never have a problem. It's not like they just sprung this on anyone, how long has it been 4 years that they have been saying that this is coming? The T I suppose is the only real way to get schools to respond....I'm guessing this was proably an issue at some point or they wouldn't have created the rule...

I have to agree. Several yeards back, one of the high schools I was at had blue and red uniforms and would pretty much dress opposite of whatever color the opponent wore. It does seem to go against common sense, but if you've tried to do a game with blue vs. purple or light gray vs. white uniforms, you might see why NFHS decided to adopt this rule.

HawkeyeCubP Fri Nov 30, 2007 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta

As the red/blue uniform example indicates (if you imagine varying shades of those colors), "light" and "dark" are relatively subjective terms. The rule change removes the ambiguity and potential for problems.

Mark Dexter Fri Nov 30, 2007 05:48pm

Quote:

How so?

bob jenkins Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:33pm

Quote:

Ya know - it really sox for the players - (

I don\'t think there are any uniform restrictions on the sox.

rainmaker Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
How so?

A T when they enter every game in those uniforms.