The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39892-backcourt-violation.html)

BEAR42 Tue Nov 27, 2007 05:49pm

Backcourt Violation?

Game Situation: A1 Is Dribbling In Backcourt Near Midcourt Line, A1 (still Dribbling) Steps Over To Frontcourt, One Foot Frontcourt, One Foot Backcourt, Dribble In Frontcourt,..a1 Then Moves Foot In Frontcourt And Ball Back To Backcourt. Is This A Backcourt Violation? I Approached One Of Our Top Level Officials In Our Local/state Association And Was Told This Was Not A Backcourt Violation Due To A1 Had Not Fully Established Frontcourt.

Adam Tue Nov 27, 2007 05:53pm

When a player is dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball does not gain frontcourt status until the ball and both feet each establish complete frontcourt position. IOW, all three "points" must get to the FC.

This only applies to a dribbling player. If this dribbler were to pick up his dribble straddling the line, then lift his backcourt foot, he then gains FC status since the three-point rule no longer applies.

Make sense?

Nevadaref Tue Nov 27, 2007 06:40pm

The official you approached gave you the correct answer.

PYRef Tue Nov 27, 2007 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAR42
I Approached One Of Our Top Level Officials In Our Local/state Association And Was Told This Was Not A Backcourt Violation Due To A1 Had Not Fully Established Frontcourt.

I take it you didn't believe him??

Oz Referee Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:54pm

Just to confuse issues, this is a backcourt violation in FIBA rules.

mbyron Wed Nov 28, 2007 08:28am

Quote:

Game Situation: A1 Is Dribbling In Backcourt Near Midcourt Line, A1 (still Dribbling) Steps Over To Frontcourt, One Foot Frontcourt, One Foot Backcourt, Dribble In Frontcourt,..a1 Then Moves Foot In Frontcourt And Ball Back To Backcourt. Is This A Backcourt Violation? I Approached One Of Our Top Level Officials In Our Local/state Association And Was Told This Was Not A Backcourt Violation Due To A1 Had Not Fully Established Frontcourt.

Your post is also a violation of capitalization rules.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Your post is also a violation of capitalization rules.

True, but my guess is that he sent it from some hand-held device that defaults (for some reason) to Initial Caps.

SamIAm Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:36am

Quote:

The details of what happened need to be more precise to get a correct answer. If the events happened the way you described them, then BC violation may have occurred. Concerning the OP, the dribbled ball needs to bounce in the backcourt before the backcourt foot is moved to the frontcourt. It sounds like a close play, and I would not be disagreeable whichever way you called it.

jdw3018 Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
The details of what happened need to be more precise to get a correct answer. If the events happened the way you described them, then BC violation may have occurred. Concerning the OP, the dribbled ball needs to bounce in the backcourt before the backcourt foot is moved to the frontcourt. It sounds like a close play, and I would not be disagreeable whichever way you called it.

Sam, I read the OP as saying that one foot was in the frontcourt, while the other was never in the frontcourt...I don't see where both feet were ever in the frontcourt.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm

I don't see any way to read the OP (without reading *into* the OP) to have all "Three points" reach the frontcourt.

BEAR42 Wed Nov 28, 2007 01:29pm

Thanks!!

Thank you all for your feedback. My apologies for violating the "CAPS" rule.
The official I initially asked about this game situation, responded with the same answer as "Snaqwells".

SamIAm Wed Nov 28, 2007 03:14pm

Quote:

I have re-read the OP and am back in sync with the same meaning that the others had. My error was in thinking that "a1 Then Moves Foot In Frontcourt" meant that the backcourt foot was moved to the front court...
regardless, I am now reading the post as the others have.