The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Just certified... need games/advice (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39744-just-certified-need-games-advice.html)

Unanim2430 Tue Nov 20, 2007 03:44pm

Just certified... need games/advice

Hey all! I must admit I have loved reading all the threads on this forum. I've learned so much already.

Well, I just finished my testing a few days ago and am just waiting on my ID card and patches. What would you suggest is the best way to get some games under my belt and show schools that I know what I'm doing? I've officiated before (rec leagues and University IM leagues) but now that I'm MHSAA (Michigan) certified I know it gets a little more "real".

Michigan doesn't have regulations of "soliciting" games - actually, the manual states that we may contact schools to let them know of our availability. Would this be the best route, send a quick letter to schools around the area? Are there other things that have worked better for you?

Thanks for the input!

Junker Tue Nov 20, 2007 04:24pm

Check in your area for a local association and get in touch with them. I would assume that whomever ran your IM program would have some contacts in the officiating community. If you are on good terms with them, see if they can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Adam Tue Nov 20, 2007 04:42pm

Agreed. You need to find out how games are assigned in your area. There are quite a few Wolverines around here that might be able to help you out.

Mark Padgett Tue Nov 20, 2007 05:06pm

Maybe if you're lucky, you'll get assigned to the Michigan - Appalachian State game! They do play each other in basketball, don't they? :rolleyes:

budjones05 Tue Nov 20, 2007 06:03pm

Just drop a letter to local schools with your name and phone number

refnrev Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:08am

Contact the ADs for the schools in your area by mail. Enclose a card if you have one with the letter. I also have stopped in to introduce myself and left a card at schools. Both worked for me.

DonInKansas Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
Contact the ADs for the schools in your area by mail. Enclose a card if you have one with the letter. I also have stopped in to introduce myself and left a card at schools. Both worked for me.

That's how we do it out here too in no-association land; a phone call to the AD also works for me.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 21, 2007 08:43am

What NOT to do: Contact the ADs. Find out who the officials are. Contact one of the officials and tell him/her the game has been cancelled. Show up to work the game.

Dan_ref Wed Nov 21, 2007 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
What NOT to do: Contact the ADs. Find out who the officials are. Contact one of the officials and tell him/her the game has been cancelled. Show up to work the game.

Well I disagree Bob. He should contact the AD to inform him that due to a recent Supreme Court ruling game fees have been doubled across the state. He would do that after calling one of the officials to tell him the game has been cancelled of course.

Junker Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Agreed. You need to find out how games are assigned in your area. There are quite a few Wolverines around here that might be able to help you out.

Now, by Wolverines do you mean Michigan folk, or those pesky high school kids that defeated the Russian army in Red Dawn?

Adam Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Now, by Wolverines do you mean Michigan folk, or those pesky high school kids that defeated the Russian army in Red Dawn?

As much as I loved that movie, those kids (Swayze, Sheen, Jennifer Grey, Lea Thompson) were in Colorado. :)
In this context, I'm referring to Michiganders.

Junker Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42am

Quote:

As much as I loved that movie, those kids (Swayze, Sheen, Jennifer Grey, Lea Thompson) were in Colorado. :)
In this context, I'm referring to Michiganders.

Come on. C. Thomas Howell carried the movie. The rest were just hacks. I mean he's had by far the best career since then. :D

Adam Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:54am

Quote:

Come on. C. Thomas Howell carried the movie. The rest were just hacks. I mean he's had by far the best career since then. :D

Who? Oh, him. Didn't Swayze have to punch him at one point?
He had no soul.

Junker Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:58am

Quote:

Who? Oh, him. Didn't Swayze have to punch him at one point?
He had no soul.

Gotta respect the Soul Man reference! Swayze is a complete badass! Roadhouse may be the high point of American cinema.

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:16pm

Quote:

Roadhouse may be the high point of American cinema.

Uh-uh. John Waters' "Pink Flamingos".

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya...800106305p.jpg