The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What in the world is this world coming to? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39670-what-world-world-coming.html)

brandan89 Sat Nov 17, 2007 03:08pm

What in the world is this world coming to?

Last night I worked two games at a local high school for their tournament. This is a nice tournament that they put on each year, averaging 25-30 teams. The tournament is a week long. This tournament is ran in two gyms; one being the old gym, and the other being a newer gym. Well team A (the team for the host school) was playing a nearby team in the new gym and won. Another nearby team started to clown the losing team for losing—and then all hell broke loose. They had full-fledged riot outside in the parking lot. Police came into the gym where I was working and made the announcement that no one is to leave this gym, that they were locking the doors so no one could enter nor leave do to trouble going on in the parking lot involving guns. Yeah, you read it right, with GUNS. They were jumping on top of peoples cars, they trampled over a teacher, it was pure hell.

Besides this, in my game, I had both coaches in front of the table arguing with each other, had to break them up. Last night was just pure HELL.

--Brandan

rainmaker Sat Nov 17, 2007 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandan89
Last night I worked two games at a local high school for their tournament. This is a nice tournament that they put on each year, averaging 25-30 teams. The tournament is a week long. This tournament is ran in two gyms; one being the old gym, and the other being a newer gym. Well team A (the team for the host school) was playing a nearby team in the new gym and won. Another nearby team started to clown the losing team for losing—and then all hell broke loose. They had full-fledged riot outside in the parking lot. Police came into the gym where I was working and made the announcement that no one is to leave this gym, that they were locking the doors so no one could enter nor leave do to trouble going on in the parking lot involving guns. Yeah, you read it right, with GUNS. They were jumping on top of peoples cars, they trampled over a teacher, it was pure hell.

Besides this, in my game, I had both coaches in front of the table arguing with each other, had to break them up. Last night was just pure HELL.

--Brandan

I hope you got combat pay!!

Mark Padgett Sat Nov 17, 2007 05:47pm

Brandan - I hope your association informs that school that no officials will work there without police protection from now on - and if there is another incident even remotely like that one, no officials will ever work there again.

Either that or get one of these guys for your partner:

http://z.about.com/d/tvdramas/1/0/k/7/thesopranos4.jpg

26 Year Gap Sat Nov 17, 2007 06:05pm

Sounds like it USED to be a nice tournament. Hopefully, the two schools involved will have their seasons curtailed by whatever association governs them.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 17, 2007 06:51pm

Quote:

This is a nice tournament ...

I'd hate to see the not so nice tournament. :D

brandan89 Sat Nov 17, 2007 08:40pm

I really wish they would do something. One of the teams that was involved was the same team that played another local school last season and had a hudge fight on the court during the game. I mean parents came out of the stands and were hitting children, coaches fighting, players fighting, everything!

They were also the school that went to play at a tournement last year and was using a dressing room to get ready for a game that another team and their belongings in and stole shoes from them.

It is a disgrace.....

26 Year Gap Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:07pm

Quote:

I really wish they would do something. One of the teams that was involved was the same team that played another local school last season and had a hudge fight on the court during the game. I mean parents came out of the stands and were hitting children, coaches fighting, players fighting, everything!

They were also the school that went to play at a tournement last year and was using a dressing room to get ready for a game that another team and their belongings in and stole shoes from them.

It is a disgrace.....

Maybe other schools ought to refuse to play them.

Mark Padgett Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:13pm

Quote:

What a bunch of heels! :eek:

Oh-oh, here we go again! I think I just o-punned the door. :p

26 Year Gap Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:17pm

The rest of us are too straight-laced to fall for that again.

rainmaker Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
The rest of us are too straight-laced to fall for that again.

Ugh...

bob jenkins Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Ugh...

Good one, but I thought the boots to which you are obviously refering in your pun were spelt "UGG"

tjones1 Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:52am

So what happened to that school the first time they pulled this garbage? Were charges filed? Did the state association do anything?

To me, it sounds like nothing happened if they were willing to do the same thing again - sad.

brandan89 Sun Nov 18, 2007 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
So what happened to that school the first time they pulled this garbage? Were charges filed? Did the state association do anything?

To me, it sounds like nothing happened if they were willing to do the same thing again - sad.

Not a damn thing...All of the students had to write letters to the opposing teams telling them they are sorry. Its a crock of crap. It makes me very mad.

I guess they figure "If the shoe fits, steal them!"

tjones1 Sun Nov 18, 2007 02:57pm

Quote:

Not a damn thing...All of the students had to write letters to the opposing teams telling them they are sorry. Its a crock of crap. It makes me very mad.

I guess they figure "If the shoe fits, steal them!"

Talk about a slap on the hand. Wow! Sure hope the same thing doesn't come out of this one...

26 Year Gap Sun Nov 18, 2007 04:56pm

Seems like there was a school or league in NYC a few years back that had to play in the afternoons with no fans.