The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Last night in the Oklahoma/O-State Basketball game Ebe Ere
dove for a ball going out of bounds. While in mid air he called and was granted a time out. In NCAA this may be legal but is it in high school. I thought if there was an immenent change in possession I thought ( in HS) that you didn't grant a time out.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's legal in high school (NFHS). You can call time-out anytime you have player control.

Z
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by weatherok
I thought if there was an immenent change in possession I thought ( in HS) that you didn't grant a time out.
That is a very old rule - perhaps Jurassic could explain what it used to be .
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 04:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
I thought if there was an immenent change in possession I thought ( in HS) that you didn't grant a time out.
Used to be exactly the same.The basic concept hasn't changed in the last 40 years--if you have player control inbounds,you can call a TO.There used to be some crap in the book about not being able to call a TO if there was an "imminent change of possession",but I don't think they ever covered this particular sitch(mainly because nobody thought of it and nobody ever tried it).
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night in the Oklahoma/O-State Basketball game Ebe Ere
dove for a ball going out of bounds. While in mid air he called and was granted a time out. In NCAA this may be legal but is it in high school. I thought if there was an immenent change in possession I thought ( in HS) that you didn't grant a time out.
weatherok, check out this one I had about a month ago. I believe we even site some rule references:

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/3650
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Actually, it's a rather new rule -- in the NBA. NBA, NCAA, and HS all used to have the same rule. Then the NBA had a spate of complaints about guys (like Dennis Rodman) who made a habit of calling TO as they were about to fall OOB.

So just a few years ago, the NBA changed its TO rule to ignore requests when a change in possession was imminent.

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 09:51am
In Memoriam

The "imminent change of possession" rule used to be that you could't grant a team's TO request if they had a count against 'em and had used up 80% of the count.In other words if you hit 4 on a 5-second closely guarded count or throw-in count,or 8 on a 10-second backcourt count,you wouldn't grant a TO request.You just kept counting until there was a violation,or the team managed to avoid the violation(rare).When the rule first came in,I once asked a renowned rules interpreter what 80% of a 3-second count was.He thought about it for a minute,and then called me an a$$hole.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The "imminent change of possession" rule used to be that you could't grant a team's TO request if they had a count against 'em and had used up 80% of the count.In other words if you hit 4 on a 5-second closely guarded count or throw-in count,or 8 on a 10-second backcourt count,you wouldn't grant a TO request.You just kept counting until there was a violation,or the team managed to avoid the violation(rare).When the rule first came in,I once asked a renowned rules interpreter what 80% of a 3-second count was.He thought about it for a minute,and then called me an a$$hole.
2.4 seconds. You mean to say that you don't know how to count tenths just in case the clock doesn't start on an inbounds when there are, oh, let's say 1.2 seconds left on the clock? (Not like that's happened to me or anything )

[Edited by Mark Dexter on Feb 2nd, 2002 at 11:26 PM]
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 12:08am
Administrator

It was not an "imminent change of possession", it was an "imminent change of status." When the count got to 80% of a five or ten second count, a team could not be granted a time out, because the ball was about to undergo an imminent change of status. Imminent change of status meant that if the player or team in possession (throw-in) or control (live ball on the court) did not comply with the rule governing the particular count involved, the ball would become dead as a result of the violation by the player or team with the ball.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio