The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Fox "SONIK"...Not as Advertised!

Just tried the "new" Fox Sonik whistle under game conditions. Don't waste your money.....stick with the FOX-40 Classic!

The advertising is all hype! VERY DISAPPOINTED

If anyone has figured out how this whistle "produces up to 125 decibels of sound power through its revolutionary design"....I'd like to know. FOX further says....."The multi-directional sound rises above ambient noise levels and is perfect for large arena officiating." My partner hit his SONIK on the first call of the game, and nobody heard it....action continued. Only indication to me that my partner had made a call was his visual mechanics. I was the 'C'....partner was 'T'. After partner blew his Sonik a couple times more...action finally stopped, coach behind me asked "what happened?" I told him there was a travel violation. Coach said...."was there a whistle?" I responded yes....however, it wasn't very loud.

I struggled as well....I had to use lots of air to make sure my SONIK just produce enough sound....thank god I had my regular FOX-40 in my pocket and made the switch ASAP!

DON'T BUY SONIK.....unless you are an exceptional "windbag"!
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref

I'm not sure that statement disqualifies a lot of us......

Thanks for the intel though. Any others try the new SONIK and have a similar or differing opinion?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 02:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Just tried the "new" Fox Sonik whistle under game conditions. Don't waste your money.....stick with the FOX-40 Classic!

If anyone has figured out how this whistle "produces up to 125 decibels of sound power through its revolutionary design"....I'd like to know. FOX further says....."The multi-directional sound rises above ambient noise levels and is perfect for large arena officiating." My partner hit his SONIK on the first call of the game, and nobody heard it....action continued. Only indication to me that my partner had made a call was his visual mechanics. I was the 'C'....partner was 'T'. After partner blew his Sonik a couple times more...action finally stopped, coach behind me asked "what happened?" I told him there was a travel violation. Coach said...."was there a whistle?" I responded yes....however, it wasn't very loud.

I struggled as well....I had to use lots of air to make sure my SONIK just produce enough sound....thank god I had my regular FOX-40 in my pocket and made the switch ASAP!

I broke out the Dolfin for my games this week. Like the sound and the feel in the mouth, but it's hard to tell if you're putting it in upside down or not.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I too, have used the Dolfin....like it as well. Have used it a few times in basketball....it's fine...but still use the FOX-40 Classic for sound and knowing which end is up! I use the Dolfin for VB....many times there's multiple matches running at the same time....it does have a different pitch than the FOX-40....but you don't lose the integrity

Last edited by imaref; Sun Dec 30, 2007 at 05:41pm.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I broke out the Dolfin for my games this week. Like the sound and the feel in the mouth, but it's hard to tell if you're putting it in upside down or not.
I've got a Dolfin and have used for a couple games. Like the sound a lot, but I'm a CMG guy (I bite hard), and would love a guard like that for the Dolfin. I just can't use it too often for that reason...
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

I utilize the Dolfin. Like Rich said, you do not know if it is upside down until it is in your mouth.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:54pm
Administrator

Quote:

Now tell how you really about the Sonik whistle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 08:50pm
Huck Finn

I agree, if the Dolphin was shaped a little different it would be better. I think it is louder with less air than the Fox 40. Does anyone know if it will work with Precision Time?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:11pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Tough to be a Dolfin fan this season.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Warning - Post Rated "r"

I guess it comes down to whether you'd rather blow a fox or a dolphin.

OK - I apologize.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I guess it comes down to whether you'd rather blow a fox or a dolphin.

OK - I apologize.
Yes, that does seem to be the question. I'll stick with the (hot) fox.