The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanics question.. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39617-mechanics-question.html)

tnsteele95 Thu Nov 15, 2007 07:10am

Mechanics question..

Hey, the name's Dale, and I'm new to the forum. My question, I'm a new ref who will be working with another new ref. We both understand most mechanics, but was wondering about the opening tip. Where does the non-tipping ref stand during the jump? Thx guys.

Jurassic Referee Thu Nov 15, 2007 07:19am

Welcome to the forum, Dale.

The Umpire in a 2-man crew stands on the center line just by the sideline in front of the scorers table. You go with the ball as lead.

Lcubed48 Thu Nov 15, 2007 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsteele95
Hey, the name's Dale, and I'm new to the forum. My question, I'm a new ref who will be working with another new ref. We both understand most mechanics, but was wondering about the opening tip. Where does the non-tipping ref stand during the jump? Thx guys.

Dale, welcome to the forum! Read and ask questions! Then, you will learn, learn, and learn some more.
I am assuming that that you are using a two-person crew. Also, you don't specify if this is an interscholastic contest. Are you a member of an official's association? Do you have the copies of the Rule Book, Case Book, and the Officials Manual?
The answer that you desire is on page 18 of the Officials Manual - 2.2 Putting the Ball In Play.
If you do not have the books, you can go to the NFHS web site (http://www.nfhs.org) and order the three manuals.:)

refnrev Thu Nov 15, 2007 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

The Umpire in a 2-man crew stands on the center line just by the sideline in front of the scorers table. You go with the ball as lead.

And don't forget to chop the clock before you take off to lead. And if you're R do not throw that ball up with your whistle in your mouth. Put it in after the toss or you may have no teeth 10 seconds into the game!

tnsteele95 Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:09am

thx guys.

Yes, two man crew. It's a youth league, but we go by Tennesssee high school rules. Thx for the link as well.

M&M Guy Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:21am

Quote:

Where does the non-tipping ref stand during the jump?

Where does he stand?!? Outside the gym, for all I care! Don't they know that those poor waiters and waitresses work for less than minimum wage and depend on those tips as part of their livelyhood? I would never want to work with such an insensitive person as this who refuses to tip!

<font size ="1">(Huh? He's talking about the U, or the U1?)</font size>

Oh, never mind. :o

Welcome to the board, Dale. (I have a brother-in-law named Dale, but I won't hold that against you.) One of the things you'll find is this game has some specific terminology, and it is there for a reason. As you continue to learn more about officiating, it will help you to learn theses specifics so you can better understand the game and officiating philosophies. So, some of us will give you as pass as it is clear you are trying to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't take it too personally if we try to correct your terminology.

And, watch out for the grumpy people around here. :D

Splute Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:43am

P.S.
Before the toss....
1. check the Clock for proper time.
2. count the players
3. ensure the jumpers are on the correct side of the center circle.

Welcome

blindzebra1 Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51am

where do you stand?

And make sure you are facing the scorers table, if you are the "R" (the one making the toss) I will not discuss the matter any futher.:eek:

thank-you

tjones1 Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:46pm

Don't forget to make sure your zipper is up before you go out onto the floor. Good luck, be sure to report back to us on how things went.

tnsteele95 Thu Nov 15, 2007 01:35pm

Luckily, we're having a jamboree game first that will give us a "practice" run. The new guys were supposed to be paired with seasoned refs, but due to the holidays there weren't enough. I've coached for many years as well as my partner, so we volunteered to "wing" it. Little nervous with the role reversal, but excited as well.

Splute Thu Nov 15, 2007 01:58pm

Quote:

Luckily, we're having a jamboree game first that will give us a "practice" run. The new guys were supposed to be paired with seasoned refs, but due to the holidays there weren't enough. I've coached for many years as well as my partner, so we volunteered to "wing" it. Little nervous with the role reversal, but excited as well.

Well, in that case:rolleyes: Dont forget to call "over the back", "reaching", traveling on spot throw-in and always, always get that 3-second call.:D just teasing..

tnsteele95 Fri Nov 16, 2007 06:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
Well, in that case:rolleyes: Dont forget to call "over the back", "reaching", traveling on spot throw-in and always, always get that 3-second call.:D just teasing..

Top of my list. lol:p

MeRef Sat Nov 17, 2007 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

You are correct, but in reality is it your experience the umpire (actually could be the referee under this year's mechanics change) always goes lead? That's been my experience. For example, by the book if the ball is tipped in the backcourt, you become trail.

rainmaker Sat Nov 17, 2007 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeRef
You are correct, but in reality is it your experience the umpire (actually could be the referee under this year's mechanics change) always goes lead? That's been my experience. For example, by the book if the ball is tipped in the backcourt, you become trail.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm gonna answer anyway. This is definitely an item to pre-game. Most people just go U to L regardless. When someone decides to do it by the book, you need to know it ahead of time so that you can have some sort of decent coverage over the first few seconds of the game.

MeRef Sat Nov 17, 2007 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm gonna answer anyway. This is definitely an item to pre-game. Most people just go U to L regardless. When someone decides to do it by the book, you need to know it ahead of time so that you can have some sort of decent coverage over the first few seconds of the game.

agree