The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   My Ted Valentine situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3941-my-ted-valentine-situation.html)

Mark Dexter Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:00pm

Tournament time in IM basketball, so I've resolved to give "less technical" fouls :). Boy, did I lose out tonight.

Blue has been yapping all game, one player in particular. In our league we have a 2-point-plus-ball rule on technical fouls. Blue is starting to get to my threshold, so I told them a few times (they were down slightly), "Don't make me give gold two points."

B1 sits himself down on the bench, and starts the comments again. I am trail right by his bench, and tell him about the 2 point thing again. His response (fuzzy, as my ego has suppressed the situation) - "Go ahead and give me a technical, you jackass!" I obliged.

While I'm reporting, B1 says something like 'If you're going to T me, give it for something I deserve,' but I know he used profanity directed at me in it - so I gave him his second.

He then proceeded to complain about how I was a horrible ref (without leaving) and once again refers to me as a jackass - 3rd T, our supervisor forfeited the game at that point (40 seconds left).

The irony here? Right before the game, I was talking with my partners about the Bobby Knight/Ted Valentine situation.

Slider Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:19am

Mark, I feel your pain, but I think there was an alternative way to go (however, if I was the ref, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same).

Ideally, hindsight and such, you do have the power to eject a participant to the locker room. Why not do that before going for the 3rd T, let game management get rid of him, and continue?

BktBallRef Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:55am

Mark, you're aren't making a lot of friends at college, are you? :D

crew Wed Jan 30, 2002 02:34am

mark in the situation you described i would not have issued the 3rd T. after the second he is done. i would not allow the game to continue untill the player has been properly removed. i would even tell the game administrator and coach that if he doesnt leave the game would be a forfeit. the 3rd T is unneccesary i think.

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 30, 2002 08:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by Slider
Mark, I feel your pain, but I think there was an alternative way to go (however, if I was the ref, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same).

Ideally, hindsight and such, you do have the power to eject a participant to the locker room. Why not do that before going for the 3rd T, let game management get rid of him, and continue?

That's what's nice about this league - players are ejected according to NCAA rules so we don't have to worry about the guys acting like idiots after their ejection.

Danvrapp Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
The irony here? Right before the game, I was talking with my partners about the Bobby Knight/Ted Valentine situation.
Uh-oh. I feel out of it here. :eek: <br><br>What's the Knight/Valentine situation?

BigDave Wed Jan 30, 2002 07:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Blue is starting to get to my threshold, so I told them a few times (they were down slightly), "Don't make me give gold two points."
Mark,<p>A comment like this is a challenge to a player. When you choose to have dialogue with a player, never ask a question. Doing this gives them the opportunity to react and things can easily escalate from there. Simply use a one-liner to diffuse the situation. If the player persist, then they have earned the "T".<p>As evidenced by the situation you described, too much conversation with a player or coach can lead to bigger problems. Keep your comments short and non-threatening and you will avoid trouble.

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Danvrapp

Uh-oh. I feel out of it here. :eek: <br><br>What's the Knight/Valentine situation?

Wow! Dan, you are out of it :)!!

Take a look at this article from Referee: http://www.referee.com/SampleArticle...knightext.html