The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rburn22281
team a has the ball for a throw in. a1 receives a tech for swearing. do they lose the throwin also?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
There are only 2 ways for the alternating possession arrow to change direction.

1) The completion of an alternating possession throw-in;

2) A throw-in violation during an alternating possession throw-in.

Neither of these things happened in your situation. (The technical foul is a foul, obviously, so #2 doesn't apply.) Therefore, Team B will receive 2 shots and the ball, but A retains the arrow.

Hope that helps.

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

ChuckElias, you read more into his post then i did. So, i'm not sure if he is asking about AP throwin. To answer the question, Yes, they loose the throwin because the T is a 2 shot foul and the ball at half court. HS Rules.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

This came up in our area meeting last night. When do you switch (or have it switched) the arrow on an AP throw-in? I was under the impression it was "when the throw-in ends". I was told by everyone else at the meeting that it should be switched when "the ball is at the disposal of the thrower". Hasn't made any difference yet, but I have been actually making sure the table doesn't switch the arrow too early.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

ChuckElias had it right for the AP; the arrow is not switched until the throw-in ends either by being completed, or by a throw-in violation (only the thrower's team can have a THROW-IN VIOLATION).

[Edited by Slider on Jan 28th, 2002 at 09:54 AM]
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

The original play doesn't say anything about an AP throw-in.

If only one technical foul is called, the team shooting FTs will always get the ball OOB at the division line, no matter who had the ball previously.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 01:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
This came up in our area meeting last night. When do you switch (or have it switched) the arrow on an AP throw-in? I was under the impression it was "when the throw-in ends". I was told by everyone else at the meeting that it should be switched when "the ball is at the disposal of the thrower". Hasn't made any difference yet, but I have been actually making sure the table doesn't switch the arrow too early.
How does it feel to be the only guy in your entire association that knows the correct rule?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOTHING in basketball pisses me off more than scorers/timers who do this. The worst are the ones who switch the arrow before you even give the ball to the inbounder.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The original play doesn't say anything about an AP throw-in.
TH and Bart are right on the money. I don't know why, but I just assumed that the original poster was asking about a question about the arrow. Wow. Big assumption.

So, new assumption. Assume it's NOT an AP throw-in. Then in a HS game, the answer to the original question is yes. Possession is part of the penalty for a technical foul. If Team A has the ball for a throw-in and A2 receives a T, then Team B will get 2 shots and the ball; so Team A obviously "loses the throw-in" too.

In college, the answer is no (usually). Team B would shoot 2 free throws, but then the game would resume with Team A's throw-in. (There are exceptions for intentional or flagrant T's and in women's ball there is an exception for calling an excessive TO.)

I hope I've redeemed myself. (RevRef, that was a metaphorical comment, not a theological one )

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 04:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOTHING in basketball pisses me off more than scorers/timers who do this. The worst are the ones who switch the arrow before you even give the ball to the inbounder.
Nothing? Nothing? Not even a partner who calls a travel from trail when you are lead and the player was 3 inches in front of you and you were looking right at his feet? And - he does it twice!!!

Not even a howler monkey who throws a cup of ice on the floor because he didn't like a call?

Not even a player who intentionally elbows an opponent in the throat?

BTW - all of these happened in my games this past weekend. I would gladly have traded any of them for a scorer who didn't know how to change the arrow.

Sorry - didn't mean it as a put-down, only as a vent on my part.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Nothing? Nothing? Not even a partner who calls a travel from trail when you are lead and the player was 3 inches in front of you and you were looking right at his feet? And - he does it twice!!!

Not even a howler monkey who throws a cup of ice on the floor because he didn't like a call?

Not even a player who intentionally elbows an opponent in the throat?

BTW - all of these happened in my games this past weekend. I would gladly have traded any of them for a scorer who didn't know how to change the arrow.

Sorry - didn't mean it as a put-down, only as a vent on my part.
No put-down taken here.

I guess it's just a personal pet peeve because of the fact that I have (correctly) worked the arrow for five straight years. (Well, okay, my first game I thought the arrow switched every time the ball changed posession . . .)
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Do we need to ask where this coach spent the rest of the game?

Seriously, I'm glad it was you and not me. I spent the weekend lounging around the balmy shores of Rockaway Beach. (That's Oregon, folks) It was very nice to skip the weekend howler monkey antics.