The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control Foul Mechanic - NCAA Men (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39135-team-control-foul-mechanic-ncaa-men.html)

Mwanr1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:36pm

Team Control Foul Mechanic - NCAA Men

What is the proper mechanic for calling a Team Control Foul on the college men level?

For some strange reasons, the CCA manual and rulebook doesn't have this signal.

CLH Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:41pm

I don't think the men have a signal for team control foul. If I'm not mistaken, NCAA-W and NFHS are the only ones using the punch mechanic to signal a team control. I'm sure somone will correct me if'n I'm wrong.

CLH

truerookie Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1
What is the proper mechanic for calling a Team Control Foul on the college men level?

For some strange reasons, the CCA manual and rulebook doesn't have this signal.

I don't believe there is a team control foul mechanic in the Men's game. You just have to mechanicalize the nature of the actual foul.

Mwanr1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:51pm

I believe so too... just needed clarification.

I usually just stop clock for foul (fist), then point to the other direction and say "offense". When reporting, I give the push or block signal.

JRutledge Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:58pm

There is a signal for team control fouls. It is the same signal for player control fouls. This was made clear when the rule was instituted.

Peace

Mwanr1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
There is a signal for team control fouls. It is the same signal for player control fouls. This was made clear when the rule was instituted.

Peace

Interesting. I've been told and taught to do the PC signal at a camp as well. But when I was working with a veteran JC official last night, he mentioned that the hand behind head (PC signal) is only for PC fouls only, and not for team control fouls.

CLH Thu Oct 25, 2007 01:49pm

Guys, a player control fouls IS a team control foul. A player has to have control of the ball to get a PC, a player is on a team, thus, it's a team control foul, because a player on the team has control of the ball and has fouled.

Choose one or the other, using 2 different mechanics is a waste of time and confusing when calling a PC. If necessary I use the block signal to clarify an illegal screen or a hold for a hold etc. But, everyone in the gym nows you've got a PC control foul when you give the fist.

Ok, I got off my little rant there. Oh, and for the love of God don't go to the table, give the number then put your hand behind your head and punch at the same time. It looks horrible!!!

Ok, I'm done boys, does someone else need the soapbox? :D

CLH

bob jenkins Thu Oct 25, 2007 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH
Guys, a player control fouls IS a team control foul.

True in NCAA-M (and I recognize that this thread references NCAA-M). Not true in FED or NCAA-W. ;)

Mwanr1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH
Guys, a player control fouls IS a team control foul. A player has to have control of the ball to get a PC, a player is on a team, thus, it's a team control foul, because a player on the team has control of the ball and has fouled.

Choose one or the other, using 2 different mechanics is a waste of time and confusing when calling a PC. If necessary I use the block signal to clarify an illegal screen or a hold for a hold etc. But, everyone in the gym nows you've got a PC control foul when you give the fist.

Ok, I got off my little rant there. Oh, and for the love of God don't go to the table, give the number then put your hand behind your head and punch at the same time. It looks horrible!!!

Ok, I'm done boys, does someone else need the soapbox? :D

CLH

true, a pc foul is a team control foul - but a team control foul could be more than just a "player control" foul. For illegal screen, displacement, push, shove, etc from an offensive player without the ball (team control foul), what preliminary signal do you use when making the foul called? I am asking at the spot of the foul, not when you are reporting.

You would have fist in the air, then WHAT???

JRutledge Thu Oct 25, 2007 02:31pm

This should be the order, fist in the air, then TC signal, then type of foul and spot of the ball being put in.

But I feel you need to let people know they are not shooting FTs.

BTW, some have even used the NF/Women's TC signal. I would only worry about this if your supervisor has a particular preference.

Peace

Mwanr1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 02:38pm

Quote:

This should be the order, fist in the air, then TC signal, then type of foul and spot of the ball being put in.

But I feel you need to let people know they are not shooting FTs.

BTW, some have even used the NF/Women's TC signal. I would only worry about this if your supervisor has a particular preference.

Peace

Thanks - but my original question is:

WHAT IS THE TC SIGNAL FOR MEN NCAA?
option 1: Punch (like ncaa-w and hfhs)
option 2: hand behind head (pc)
option 3: neither - just point to the opposite direction

JRutledge Thu Oct 25, 2007 02:43pm

Quote:

The mechanic is number 2 but I have yet to see anyone get upset if you use either of the 3. And if you are really working college, you will know your supervisor is who really dictates this choice.

There are a lot of things that are not in the book that many of us use. The CCA mechanics books are guides, they are not the law.

Peace

IREFU2 Thu Oct 25, 2007 02:47pm

Quote:

I have seen number 3 the most. As a matter of fact, thats what I do/did during camp and nobody had a problem with it.

Mwanr1 Thu Oct 25, 2007 02:47pm

Quote:

The mechanic is number 2 but I have yet to see anyone get upset if you use either of the 3. And if you are really working college, you will know your supervisor is who really dictates this choice.

There are a lot of things that are not in the book that many of us use. The CCA mechanics books are guides, they are not the law.

Peace

Thanks I agree that our supervisor should be the person who dictate this choice. But at the same time, it's ALWAYS good and safe to use the correct mechanics.

Thank you all for your help.

RushmoreRef Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:32am

Quote:

You really think it looks "horrible" huh? I guess I'll have to try and remember that this year.

For what it's worth, I use NFHS mechanics on team control...I think PC mechanic should be used only in PC situations strictly for communication reasons.

JMO....Now I have to go and get in front of the mirror and break my habit mentioned above.