The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   study guide question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39120-study-guide-question.html)

just another ref Wed Oct 24, 2007 08:08pm

study guide question

With time running out in the fourth quarter, team B scores giving them a three point lead. A-1 inbounds to A-2 near the sideline in front of team B's bench. A-2 releases a three point try prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B-6 enters the court and blocks the shot. Official charges B-6 with a technical foul for entering the court illegally and another technical foul for unsporting conduct. This ruling is correct.

I would say that this is true. The part about entering the court illegally is plain enough, and I have no trouble calling the shot block an unsporting act. Unless, of course there is some language in the book which would somehow string the two infractions together.

Awaiting the forum's meaningful insights.

bob jenkins Wed Oct 24, 2007 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
With time running out in the fourth quarter, team B scores giving them a three point lead. A-1 inbounds to A-2 near the sideline in front of team B's bench. A-2 releases a three point try prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B-6 enters the court and blocks the shot. Official charges B-6 with a technical foul for entering the court illegally and another technical foul for unsporting conduct. This ruling is correct.

I would say that this is true. The part about entering the court illegally is plain enough, and I have no trouble calling the shot block an unsporting act. Unless, of course there is some language in the book which would somehow string the two infractions together.

It was in the interps within the last couple of years

just another ref Wed Oct 24, 2007 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Thought I had seen it somewhere. So you are saying it is true, right?

Splute Wed Oct 24, 2007 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref

The other item that gets my attention is the use of substitute B-6. Do I assume the ball went live with Team B only having four players or did B-6 make it 6? If that is the case wouldnt we also have to many players on the cour for Team B and another T??

rainmaker Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
The other item that gets my attention is the use of substitute B-6. Do I assume the ball went live with Team B only having four players or did B-6 make it 6? If that is the case wouldnt we also have to many players on the cour for Team B and another T??

He never became a player. If substitutes come onto the court at a substitution opportunity (dead ball), they become players when the ball becomes live, even if there are too many of them. A bench personnel just running onto the court at a random time isn't too many players. At least that would be my interp.

Nevadaref Thu Oct 25, 2007 04:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 12: Team B has just scored to go up by three points with time running out in the fourth quarter. Player A1 inbounds the ball to A2 close to the sideline of Team B's bench. A2 releases a three-point try just prior to the horn sounding. Substitute B7 leaves the bench area, enters the court and blocks the shot.
RULING: B7 shall be charged with two technical fouls and ejected. One technical foul is assessed for entering the court without permission and one for unsporting conduct. Any member of Team A may shoot the four free throws for the technical fouls. The results of these free throws will determine if the game is over or going into overtime. COMMENT: Two technical fouls must be assessed in this situation. Otherwise, the team committing the infraction would benefit from the act. (10-4-1; 10-4-2)

Nevadaref Thu Oct 25, 2007 04:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
He never became a player. If substitutes come onto the court at a substitution opportunity (dead ball), they become players when the ball becomes live, even if there are too many of them. A bench personnel just running onto the court at a random time isn't too many players. At least that would be my interp.

:(

A team can never have six players. Five is the maximum. However, there can be six team members participating simultaneously. If you look at the rule, you will notice that it uses "team members" and says "more than five".

Splute Thu Oct 25, 2007 06:54am

I agreed with the study guide ruling, but with the odd interps this year I thought it was worth asking. Thanks Juulie, Nevada