The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question 20 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38936-question-20-a.html)

MidMadness Thu Oct 18, 2007 09:10am

Question 20

A-1 scores. A-2 purposely grabs the ball, steps out of bounds and passes to A-3 who scores. While the ball is at the disposal of team B, the throw in by team A-2 is questioned. Official charges team A with a technical,cancels the score and puts the consumed time back on the clock. Is the official correct???

I cannot find in the rule book or case book about the consumed time being out back on?? I would think you would put the time back on, as teams could do this in the last 10 seconds of a h.s. game..as the clock doesn't stop and use it to their advantage....Any help or opinions would be welcome.

kbilla Thu Oct 18, 2007 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidMadness
A-1 scores. A-2 purposely grabs the ball, steps out of bounds and passes to A-3 who scores. While the ball is at the disposal of team B, the throw in by team A-2 is questioned. Official charges team A with a technical,cancels the score and puts the consumed time back on the clock. Is the official correct???

I cannot find in the rule book or case book about the consumed time being out back on?? I would think you would put the time back on, as teams could do this in the last 10 seconds of a h.s. game..as the clock doesn't stop and use it to their advantage....Any help or opinions would be welcome.

There is no provision for putting time back on as far as I know other than with a known timing error. As far as this being an advantage, think about it. If the game is that close that those few seconds matter that much, well now you just gave B a chance to shoot two free throws with the clock stopped. If I am team B, I like my chances in that scenario more than moving the ball the length of the court and scoring in less time than ran off the clock when A pulled the ball out of the basket and scored again, and the official blew the whistle for the T, what is that 2-3 seconds? Not to mention that B now gets the ball at division line after the free throws, so now they don't even have to move it the length of the court to score AGAIN....doesn't seem like much of an advantage for A unless the new trail official is completely asleep and doesn't notice that team A took the ball out after they just scored and just stands there for 5 seconds or something while the clock runs down....

zebraman Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidMadness

When in doubt, check the books.

NFHS case play 10.1.8 addresses this exact situation.

Technical foul to Team A.
Cancel the field goal.
Put consumed time back on the clock.

If the officials think that team A acted out of confusion (instead of intent), you follow the above procedure without the T.

The kicker is that the case book says that this has to have been noticed by the officials before the opponents gain control or the throw-in has begin. By rule, the officials needed to notice it sooner... however, common sense........

Splute Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:25am

My only reference would be rule 5-10-1 and corresponding case play 5.10.1. However, I do not think this is a timer error. It was a violation (or Tech in this case) by Team A that should have never been allowed. Regardless, as mentioned in this ruling, the official must have defenitive knowledge of the time to put time back on the clock. If an official noted the time before Team A inbounded, then I would think he would be permitted to put that time back on the clock. It does not mention that part in the question.....:rolleyes:

Splute Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:29am

good catch Zebraman

MidMadness Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:27am

Thanks

Thank you Zebraman, I searched for a long time before bringing it here.

rainmaker Thu Oct 18, 2007 01:06pm

and by the way, as near as I can find, 10.1.8 is the only situation where you are allowed to put time back on the clock, except for timer/timing errors. Except for this situation, the rule is, never put time back on the clock.

refnrev Fri Oct 19, 2007 05:35pm

What test is this question from?:confused: