The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   coach refuses to play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38877-coach-refuses-play.html)

oc Tue Oct 16, 2007 06:15am

coach refuses to play

I remember reading somewhere that if a coach pulls his team off the floor the coach is suspended the next game. I can't remember if that was NFHS, NCAA, or a local rule. Can anyone site a rule reference for this?

Jurassic Referee Tue Oct 16, 2007 06:31am

There's nothing related in either the FED or NCAA rule book. It's a state/league rule and ahs nothing to do with the officials.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Oct 16, 2007 07:43am

Each state association has their own rule about coaches pulling their teams off and refusing to play. It varies greatly. I believe in Nebraska, the official is supposed to "discuss" with the coach the consequence of pulling the team, i.e., forfeiture, and give him/her a chance to reconsider. Give the coach a reasonable amount of time (a couple of minutes or so), and if he/she is still refusing to put the team back on the court, the R announces the forfeit to both coaches, sign the book, and all officials hightail it out of there. The crew is also mandated to make a report to the NSAA, who will then contact the offending school. What happens after that, I'm not sure, because it's never happened as far as I know.

In Iowa, it's pretty much the same, but I know that in the rules meeting or one of the handouts from those meetings, it does say that the coach can be suspended by the IHSAA until he/she can meet with the Executive Director, etc. I can't remember the exact details, but it is outlined somewhere. Don't have all my materials here with me at work.

Adam Tue Oct 16, 2007 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
In Iowa, it's pretty much the same, but I know that in the rules meeting or one of the handouts from those meetings, it does say that the coach can be suspended by the IHSAA until he/she can meet with the Executive Director, etc. I can't remember the exact details, but it is outlined somewhere. Don't have all my materials here with me at work.

I know it's happened in Iowa, but it's been a while since the one I know about. When I was playing high school ball, my sophomore year, we were playing a team that was in the championship game annually. Our coach felt they had a history of running up the score, so before the game even started he discussed it with us.

At the start of the fourth quarter, with the score 92-20 and their starters still in, coach pulled us off the court and we walked to the lockers.

We didn't know about it before hand, but our coach seemed to have expected the suspension when he got it. I was under the impression at the time that the suspension was automatic under the circumstances; but I was 16 and our coach didn't exactly let us in on the administrative stuff.

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:35am

The same rule applies to coaches who refuse to play as to players who refuse to coach.

Someone please call my doctor. :o

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Oct 16, 2007 04:01pm

Snagwells,

Sounds like your coach had a big heart, willing to take the fall for you guys. I admire coaches who are willing to take risks like that. Goes to show integrity in their character.

Nevadaref Tue Oct 16, 2007 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
There's nothing related in either the FED or NCAA rule book. It's a state/league rule and ahs nothing to do with the officials.

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...ages/agree.gif

kerpal Tue Oct 16, 2007 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The same rule applies to coaches who refuse to play as to players who refuse to coach.

Yeah, good thing it is implemented.. But I think there should be a heavier sanction if players and/or coaches violated it

Back In The Saddle Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

There also used to be a rule about coaches who refused to referee. But they removed it because no coach had ever done this. ;)