The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I just took the NF test (Part I) online, and I see what all of you mean by trick/questionably worded questions. Looking over the answers, I see that I read way too far into some questions, and just skimmed the questions that were tricks. However, I still do have a few questions/comments about some of the answers.

(1) 74. A free throw by A1 is credited to A1 and Team A regardless in which basket the attempt is made.

I answered false. I realized that shooting at the wrong basket counted for your team, but took the correctable error provision of FT at wrong basket into account. Which applies here?

(2) 91. If A1's tap toward A's basket or A1's try is in flight when time expires in the second quarter, the quarter ends when the tap or try ends

I again answered false, thanks to whoever here pointed out that if A1 was fouled during the try/tap the period would not end until after the FT's . Once again, which takes precedent, the norm or the exception?

(3) 98. The home team has the option of wearing either light or dark colored uniforms as long as the visiting team is notified.

I answered true, thinking this was only a recommendation (i.e., if both teams come out in black, home must change to a lighter jersey), not that home's jerseys needed to be light or else. Which is the ruling here?

Thanks, all.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I just took the NF test (Part I) online, and I see what all of you mean by trick/questionably worded questions. Looking over the answers, I see that I read way too far into some questions, and just skimmed the questions that were tricks. However, I still do have a few questions/comments about some of the answers.

(1) 74. A free throw by A1 is credited to A1 and Team A regardless in which basket the attempt is made.

I answered false. I realized that shooting at the wrong basket counted for your team, but took the correctable error provision of FT at wrong basket into account. Which applies here?

Mark, welocme to the world under Federation rule! When you take a Federation exam, You have to pay attention to the topic for the 4 questions. For question 73-76, the topic is scoring. Therefore, the question is asking about a situation where the officials allow a team to go in the wrong direction, no a correctable error sitaution.

The answer is true, based on 5-2-2 and 4-5-4.

Quote:
(2) 91. If A1's tap toward A's basket or A1's try is in flight when time expires in the second quarter, the quarter ends when the tap or try ends

I again answered false, thanks to whoever here pointed out that if A1 was fouled during the try/tap the period would not end until after the FT's . Once again, which takes precedent, the norm or the exception?

The other thing that you can't do is read anything into the question. The question doesn't say anything about a foul. It simply a true statement.

Quote:
(3) 98. The home team has the option of wearing either light or dark colored uniforms as long as the visiting team is notified.

I answered true, thinking this was only a recommendation (i.e., if both teams come out in black, home must change to a lighter jersey), not that home's jerseys needed to be light or else. Which is the ruling here??

False

3-4-6 Note
The home team should wear light-colored uniforms and the visiting team dark. The team that violates this policy should change. If there is doubt, the officials should request the home team to change; on a neutral floor the officials decide.

Live long and prosper!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Mark, welocme to the world under Federation rule! When you take a Federation exam, You have to pay attention to the topic for the 4 questions.

Live long and prosper!
Thanks for the advice. Here, I simply took the rules "as a whole." Other times I didn't read into the question and got it wrong (example: the question about if it was legal to wear a commemorative patch above the neckline or in the side insert. I answered true, thinking that if the test didn't mention anything about a number, the patch must have been legal).

I'm shocked that I actually passed this thing after seeing all of the weird wordings of things. (I also agree with others that questions about precise basket size, exact dimensions of logos, etc. need to be de-emphasized and we should have more questions about definitions and the other more used rules.)

BTW, why the switch to Star Trek?
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(example: the question about if it was legal to wear a commemorative patch above the neckline or in the side insert. I answered true, thinking that if the test didn't mention anything about a number, the patch must have been legal).
Disregard this one - I didn't read where it said "number patch."

[Edited by Mark Dexter on Jan 27th, 2002 at 07:58 AM]
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

There is a place you can take the test online?

Can I get the addy for it?

thanks
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 02:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I have got a good one.

What do you do if two teams are playing in a Shootout several miles away from home and they both come in Blue uniforms? One was a light blue and the other was a little darker and the shorts had some yellow and white on them. So how do you solve this situation?

Peace
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOWB_Ref
There is a place you can take the test online?

Can I get the addy for it?

thanks
http://www.geocities.com/cboa_bball/nfhspart1_2001.htm
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Re: I have got a good one.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
What do you do if two teams are playing in a Shootout several miles away from home and they both come in Blue uniforms? One was a light blue and the other was a little darker and the shorts had some yellow and white on them. So how do you solve this situation?

Peace
Ideally, you have whichever team is listed as "home" on the schedule change. If this is a "neutral court" and neither team is listed, the officials decide who will wear what color.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, that test is whack, thanks for the URL.

For example, a rule says A is true.

Then they give a question and say "not A" is false.

But just because A is true, doesn't necessarily mean that the opposite is always false, if you get my drift.

I hate to give another question, but look at this:

"A ball in contact with A1 or the court is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor A1 is touching the backcourt."

What if A1 is in the air jumping from BC?

Oh well.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Mark, welcome to the world under Federation rule!

Live long and prosper!

BTW, why the switch to Star Trek?
Why, the Federation, of course!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by inkwiziter
I hate to give another question, but look at this:

"A ball in contact with A1 or the court is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor A1 is touching the backcourt."

What if A1 is in the air jumping from BC?

Oh well.
I see what you mean - luckily I guessed correctly on this one .

Tony, that is too funny!