The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ambient Noise (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38819-ambient-noise.html)

mick Sat Oct 13, 2007 05:46pm

Last week during an 8th grade girls' game, I got aggravated with the visiting 7th grade team beating on the bleachers during the home team free throws.

They had been doing it on other free throws, but the sound suddenly and finally hit my limit.

BillyMac Sat Oct 13, 2007 06:43pm

Disconcertion

From mick: "I got aggravated with the visiting 7th grade team beating on the bleachers during the home team free throws. They had been doing it on other free throws, but the sound suddenly and finally hit my limit."

RULE 9 VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
SECTION 1 FREE-THROW PROVISIONS
A player shall not violate the following provisions governing free throws:
ART.5...No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.

RookieDude Sat Oct 13, 2007 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
From mick: "I got aggravated with the visiting 7th grade team beating on the bleachers during the home team free throws. They had been doing it on other free throws, but the sound suddenly and finally hit my limit."

RULE 9 VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
SECTION 1 FREE-THROW PROVISIONS
A player shall not violate the following provisions governing free throws:
ART.5...No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.

...you are probably kidding, right?...since a 7th grade "person" in the stands, is not an 8th grade "player" violating free throw provisions.

If mick wants to ask game management to have the fans mellow out...that's fine...but, I don't think you can use your quoted rule to back it up.

Jurassic Referee Sat Oct 13, 2007 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
If mick wants to ask game management to have the fans mellow out...that's fine...but, I don't <font color = red>think</font> you can use your quoted rule to back it up.

Naw, you <b>know</b> that he can't use that cited rule under those circumstances.

mick Sat Oct 13, 2007 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, you know that he can't use that cited rule under those circumstances.

I didn't try any of that fancy rule stuff on those 13-yr-old girls.

From Lead, I handed my partner the ball, went to the bleachers and told them, "That kind of stuff is okay for fans, but you guys are athletes. You're too good for that."

RookieDude Sat Oct 13, 2007 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, you <b>know</b> that he can't use that cited rule under those circumstances.

True...Hey JR, you should be getting ready to assign some bball games soon. (I know. I know...you were "born ready"):D

Our first general meeting, for boys H.S. and Middle School is coming soon...Oct. 29th. Looking forward to it!

BillyMac Sun Oct 14, 2007 01:29am

Mistake

I know (now) that I can't use my quoted rule to back up my interpretation. Sorry, I didn't realize there were four "teams" involved here. Neither the word "person", nor the word "player" was mentioned in the original post. I thought that a seventh grade "team" was playing against an eighth grade "team". Since the seventh grade "team" was, in reality, acting as "persons", or more correctly, "team followers", I agree with Rookie Dude, Jurassic Referee, and mick, and I would be asking the site director (host management) to deal with the problem.

This demonstrates the importance of using correct terminology when posting on this Forum. Terms like "team", "team member", "player", "subsititute", "captain", "bench personnel", "team attendant", "manager", "statistician", "coach", "assistant coach", "host management", "team follower", etc., should be used as defined in the rules.