The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
I wanted to start this thread to get your opinions out there. Earlier this week I officiated a game with a coach who has serious anger management problems. Not with the officials mind you, but with his players. I have officiated him in the past and it has always been the same. The level is a high school boys varsity game. Not only is he the head coach be he is also the principle of the High School.

IMO I feel that this is well over the edge on verbal "child" abuse. I looked over at him at the start of the game and his whole countence changed within the first few seconds from the first play.

The coach is very careful to just brush the edge of the line when boardering a technical. But when his players make a mistake, overshoot, commit a violation, He EXPLODES at them. I don't know how the parents can stand what he does.

My partner after the game commented that he thinks that he is playing a mind game with the officals to not want to call something for fear of his players getting blasted. I think there are serious issues. In his time out huddles you can hear the foul language, the berating and belittling of his players. But it is not loud enough that you "should" hear it.

I contemplated reporting him to Social Services. Because I know it has been reported to the state High School Activites Association and nothing was done.

Any suggestions?