The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You make the call 2... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3866-you-make-call-2-a.html)

w_sohl Thu Jan 24, 2002 02:29pm

You have definate knowledge that player attempting a buzzer beater is fouled in the act of shooting just before the clock hits 0.0 player then releases shot after time expires and sinks it. What do you do?

a) count the bucket (and shoot the bonus if it matters)
b) wave it off and shoot two (if it matters)

Brian Watson Thu Jan 24, 2002 02:40pm

Wave it and shoot 2 or 3.

Jerry Blum Thu Jan 24, 2002 03:32pm

Wave it off and shoot appropriate free throws.

BBarnaky Thu Jan 24, 2002 03:36pm

Wave it and shoot the free throws.

Just as an aside, since players cannot shoot "free throws" anymore; maybe we should submit a petition to all the rule books and change the name of "free throws."

Anybody have some suggestions?

mick Thu Jan 24, 2002 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BBarnaky
Wave it and shoot the free throws.

Just as an aside, since players cannot shoot "free throws" anymore; maybe we should submit a petition to all the rule books and change the name of "free throws."

Anybody have some suggestions?

To'n'fros

crew Thu Jan 24, 2002 03:54pm

count the basket, restore time, shoot 1 free throw.

w_sohl Thu Jan 24, 2002 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by crew
Wouldn't you wave the bucket off because there is an allotment of 1 sec. for the lag in time keeping and the shot then came after the clock reached 0.0?

Mark Dexter Thu Jan 24, 2002 04:00pm

HEY! You copied me!!!

:D

crew Thu Jan 24, 2002 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:

Wouldn't you wave the bucket off because there is an allotment of 1 sec. for the lag in time keeping and the shot then came after the clock reached 0.0?

if i have definate knowledge of time or a foul before time expires i will reset the clock to the proper time. i am not 100% but isnt lag time in the case book and not in the rule book. but i will put the actual(not lag) on the clock if i have definate knowledge. if i do not have def. knowledge i will not restore time.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 24, 2002 07:11pm

The timer is allowed one second to stop the clock. Whether it's in the rule book or case book doesn't matter. Since w_sohl doesn't say anything about having definite knowledge that time should be put back on the clock, the horn and clock are good and you simply have the shooter shoot his FTs.

Mark Dexter Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:11pm

Quote:

if i have definate knowledge of time or a foul before time expires i will reset the clock to the proper time. i am not 100% but isnt lag time in the case book and not in the rule book. but i will put the actual(not lag) on the clock if i have definate knowledge. if i do not have def. knowledge i will not restore time.
Crew, you might want to add a footnote on this one. Crew is correct that for NCAA, in all situations, if the official is sure the whistle was before the horn, the clock must be reset.

In NF, though, the lag time provision of the case book does apply.