The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

I know that the rule says that if we do not have the new coaches box marked, that we are to revert back to the old 6 feet box. But what if you are on a court that does not have either? How do you enforce the coaching box?

I did a game today at a college gym in the Chicago Public League and they did not have any coaches boxes marked at all. I really did not know what to do, but we did not have any problems. But how do you enforce a unmarked court?

Peace
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 12:08am
Administrator

The NFHS Rules state that the coaches are to remain seated except in a few defined instances. The Rules also state that a State Association may adopt a Coaching Box (many coaches read that a Coach's Box, but they are grossly wrong). If a State Association adopts a Coaching Box, the court must be marked with it; if the Coaching Box is not marked on the court, there is not Coaching Box for that game even though the State Association adopted a Coaching Box.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I usually just get some tape, measure out about 6 feet, and go from there.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

If there's no box, they must remain seated, except when they can stand by rule. I inform them prior to the game, so that game management can make a box if they want to.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I know that the rule says that if we do not have the new coaches box marked, that we are to revert back to the old 6 feet box. But what if you are on a court that does not have either? How do you enforce the coaching box?

I did a game today at a college gym in the Chicago Public League and they did not have any coaches boxes marked at all. I really did not know what to do, but we did not have any problems. But how do you enforce a unmarked court?

Peace
JRut,

Now I am not saying that I would condone this , but if you decided to give the coaches a 6' box on an unmarked floor, it would be the width of the first 3 chairs.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle

JRut,

Now I am not saying that I would condone this , but if you decided to give the coaches a 6' box on an unmarked floor, it would be the width of the first 3 chairs.
Those sound like pretty wide chairs!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

This may be oversimplistic, but it's pretty easy. Tell the coaches that they wont be standing up unless we have a box. We'll help get the distances... but you need some tape... They get the tape and we help step off boxes and put some tape down . Shows them we arent just mean SOB's.... (even if we are) If they helped then they know where the boxes are and what they look like. That way when they are out of it just a whining, complaining.... Whack! NO EXCUSE!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace

Rut,
The 28' mark was there, yo?
I'd tell 'em to stay in that area, and then start the game.
If there was a problem, then let's get some tape.
Are there other rules that I'll not enforce during the game?...I guess we'll have to see.
mick
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Rut,
Are there other rules that I'll not enforce during the game?...I guess we'll have to see.
mick
If you are going to use the tape, get it down before the game. There is nothing worse than a delay in the game so the officials can put down a coach's box.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 09:24pm
In Memoriam

later is worser

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Rut,
mick
If you are going to use the tape, get it down before the game. There is nothing worse than a delay in the game so the officials can put down a coach's box.
Big Dave, that sounds like a very proper way to approach the problem, but I like to presuppose proper posturing of the partcipating people.
So, , although I agree with you, I'll miss mentioning the unmarked box until the moving mandibles make it mandatory.
mick
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 09:29pm
Administrator

It is not a Coach's box is it a COACHING box. In both the NFHS and NCAA Rules it is defined as a coaching box, not a coach's box. It is a coaching box for a reason, the head coach is supposed to coach his team, not a bully pulpit for the head coach.

Some of you may think that I am being anal but if we are to be treated as professionals we must use the correct language of our profession. Calling it a coach's box is just like calling a player control foul an offensive foul in games played under NFHS/NCAA rules; there is no such thing as an offensive foul under these rules.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Having officiated for many years without a coaching box, and not needing one , I like Mick's approach - use the 28 ft marks ,if they are there , and tell both coaches prior to the game. If they are not there establish another boundary!
Pistol