The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coaches and their players (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3858-coaches-their-players.html)

SOWB_Ref Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:23am

Does anyone else see the trend that players usually follow the example in conduct set by there coach? This is a generalziation, but geez I usually have more problems with players whose coaches can't keep it in check themselves.

In my pregame with coaches I try to emphasize this by saying"The players will follow our(coaches and officials)example so let's maintain a professional and sportsmanlike attitude throughout the game."

Doesn't usually change those who are true howler monkeys.

Ridge Wiz Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:34am

Yes, I would completely agree. I've seen a good kid turn into an attitude problem under a H. Monkey coach. The next year, under a well disciplined coach, the kid made another 180 turn. Basically in three years the kid was good, bad, good due to the influence of a different coach. Many other adults of the youth league recognized the same changes.

Last week I worked a middle school game where the "rules knowing" coach liked to point out the calls we were missing. With about 2 minutes in the game his "rules knowing" player wants to point out something for me to notice on the other team (the other team is up 20+). I told the player, in a stern voice, "You have nothing to say to me."

mick Thu Jan 24, 2002 11:21am

Oh, my!

Quote:

Originally posted by SOWB_Ref
Does anyone else see the trend that players usually follow the example in conduct set by there coach? This is a generalziation, but geez I usually have more problems with players whose coaches can't keep it in check themselves.

In my pregame with coaches I try to emphasize this by saying"The players will follow our(coaches and officials)example so let's maintain a professional and sportsmanlike attitude throughout the game."

SOWB_Ref,
If I were a coach, and a young, arrogant official said that condescending quip to me before a game, I would be aggravated from the start.
If a really nice official said that to me, I would think he is a young, arrogant and condescending official.
mick

SOWB_Ref Thu Jan 24, 2002 09:05pm

You really think that is arrogant and condescending? It definitely isn't my intent.

In the association I work for, we are required to remind the coaches of sportsmanship during the introductions, and by mentioning that I am required to adbide by the same conduct I was hoping to let them know there aren't alone and I am not attempting to single them out.

Are there coaches on this board who could sound off on this. I am certainly willing to consider another tact.

How do you address coaches in your introduction? If you don't specifically address sportsmanship how would you?

[Edited by SOWB_Ref on Jan 24th, 2002 at 10:52 PM]

mick Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:52pm

Quote:

You really think that is arrogant and condescending? It is definitely my intent.

In the association I work for, we are required to remind the coaches of sportsmanship during the introductions, and by mentioning that I am required to adbide by the same conduct I was hoping to let them know there aren't alone and I am not attempting to single them out.

Are there coaches on this board who could sound off on this. I am certainly willing to consider another tact.

How do you address coaches in your introduction? If you don't specifically address sportsmanship how would you?

To the coaches: "Please remind your players of sportsmanship." ...That is that.
mick

daves Fri Jan 25, 2002 01:52am

Re: Oh, my!

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

SOWB_Ref,
If I were a coach, and a young, arrogant official said that condescending quip to me before a game, I would be aggravated from the start.
If a really nice official said that to me, I would think he is a young, arrogant and condescending official.
mick

I wouldn't consider this arrogant or condescending in the least. I think it's another way of verbalizing an official's emphasis for sportsmanship. There was no finger pointing. The officials were included as part of the equation for professionalism and sportsmanship. I like it. I think I'll use it in my next coaches conference.

dblref Fri Jan 25, 2002 08:33am

In our state clinic this year, we were told to ask the coaches somethin to the effect of ..."are your players properly equipped and will display good sportsmanship?" I think it was last year that we were supposed to "invite" the coaches to the the meeting with the captains. We rarely, if ever, did this.

mick Fri Jan 25, 2002 09:19am

Re: Re: Oh, my!

Quote:

Originally posted by daves

I wouldn't consider this arrogant or condescending in the least. I think it's another way of verbalizing an official's emphasis for sportsmanship. There was no finger pointing. The officials were included as part of the equation for professionalism and sportsmanship. I like it. I think I'll use it in my next coaches conference.

daves,
We all know there are different strokes for different folks.
However, when I step onto the court I assume professionalism will be displayed. If I make a request for professionalism, then it may be interpreted that I am expecting someone to be non-professional.
I, also, expect good sportsmanship. The only reason I make any sportsmanship statement is because the "statement" is required. It seems the "rule-riters" expect poor sportsmanship.
Then, too, when I am working the plate on a diamond, I refuse to give warnings for behavior prior to the first pitch, because I assume proper conduct will be applied for the entire game.
mick

Bart Tyson Fri Jan 25, 2002 09:39am

Mick, assume proper conduct! I know what you are saying, But, you have to admit, it does sound funny.

mick Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Mick, assume proper conduct! I know what you are saying, But, you have to admit, it does sound funny.
Bart,
Yeah, I don't write so good.
mick

Bart Tyson Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:08am

No, not your writing, the idea of assuming player and coaches will have proper conduct. :)

mick Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
No, not your writing, the idea of assuming player and coaches will have proper conduct. :)
Well, ya know Bart, if I thought the players and coaches
were gonna be assinine I wouldn't do this thing.
I guess that's just the mindset with which I've decided to go.
Maybe, subconsciously, I am <s>assuming</s> hoping they all read the book since the last time I saw 'em.
Riiiiiight. :)
mick

daves Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:23am

I assume nothing when it comes to the coaches and players. My hope is that everyone involved in a game will show sportsmanship and professionalism but too often that has not been the case. I guess it's a case of hoping for the best and expecting the worst. Whatever an official can do to emphasize that point should be encouraged. I have a game coming up next week between 2 teams that have some "issues" with each other. Will I emphasize sportsmanship more in the coaches and captains conference in that game? Absolutely! I'm not going to make accusations or single anybody out but it will be a point of emphasis. I'm just trying to rein things in before it gets ugly. I too would like to hear from some of our coaches about this point.

coach mb Fri Feb 08, 2002 09:10am

"The players will follow our(coaches and officials)example so let's maintain a professional and sportsmanlike attitude throughout the game."

I like it. To instill a positive common behavior is as important for an adult as it is for a child.

I would take the statement as coming from a leader who's ready to present him/her self in such a way ... that those participating in and attending the game will be able to leave that day with the impression that ... win or lose ... that ref did a good job with my child.

By the way ... I have more trouble excepting an "unprofessional", "self centered" official then any other person in the gym.

It doesn't happen often, but we're all human.

egausch Fri Feb 08, 2002 09:58am

I have no problem with that intro. I find it professional an d would welcome it.
I also agree 100% that players TEND to follow their coach's lead or the captain's lead. Not all, but most. As a matter of fact, I count on it to both motivate the team or settle them down as needed. Since 80% of the time I'm dealing with volunteer refs, and coaches for that matter, I'm very careful not to set a negative example for the players. I pick and choose those battles very carefully, and always as professional as possible. Anything less either stagnants or misdirects the development of the players, coaches, and/or refs, and the league for that matter.
EG