The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Where did they go? They left ref!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38513-where-did-they-go-they-left-ref.html)

Tweet Fri Sep 28, 2007 09:43am

Where did they go? They left ref!!!

So Wednesday I am doing a girls DH , Jv/SV.

First on was JV the game went into overtime so it was a very close game throughout. The problem we were having was with our scorekeepers. The time was never stopped on time nor was it started on time.

Before the SV game started the visiting coach comes up to me and says you better do somethin about that table cause they were just horrible. I tell him we know coach we are having a talk with them. Fortunately we had a new person working the scoreboard and time and 2 people doing sheet/arrow and so on.

Here is when the fun started, Halfway through the 1st I am L and call a foul and I go to report it just to realize that I have nobody at the table except the guy working the clock/scoreboard. I ask him where the other 2 are and he says "They left ref". I then tell Home Coach to get his table straight or we are not continuing this game. He got 2 parents to help us out and they did a great job with what they were given, which was no player points recorded up to that point, no time outs recorded, fouls wrong, and score was wrong too.

Even better kicker was, in the last minutes of the game Home's PG gets fouled out and the Home Coach tries to tell me there is no way she had 5 fouls and all I said to him was "Coach, It is YOUR scoretable". This game almost went into overtime too if last shot had gone in.

Comments suggestions? What are we supposed to do :confused:

JugglingReferee Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:09am

You done good.

Not much you can do, except have the home coach or game mgmt deal with it.

Jurassic Referee Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:27am

Report it to your assignor.

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweet

What are you supposed to do? Never let a game go into overtime, that's what! Now, what was all that other stuff about? :D

rainmaker Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweet
So Wednesday I am doing a girls DH , Jv/SV.

First on was JV the game went into overtime so it was a very close game throughout. The problem we were having was with our scorekeepers. The time was never stopped on time nor was it started on time.

Before the SV game started the visiting coach comes up to me and says you better do somethin about that table cause they were just horrible. I tell him we know coach we are having a talk with them. Fortunately we had a new person working the scoreboard and time and 2 people doing sheet/arrow and so on.

Here is when the fun started, Halfway through the 1st I am L and call a foul and I go to report it just to realize that I have nobody at the table except the guy working the clock/scoreboard. I ask him where the other 2 are and he says "They left ref". I then tell Home Coach to get his table straight or we are not continuing this game. He got 2 parents to help us out and they did a great job with what they were given, which was no player points recorded up to that point, no time outs recorded, fouls wrong, and score was wrong too.

Even better kicker was, in the last minutes of the game Home's PG gets fouled out and the Home Coach tries to tell me there is no way she had 5 fouls and all I said to him was "Coach, It is YOUR scoretable". This game almost went into overtime too if last shot had gone in.

As JR said, well, you do the best you can, which you did. And as the dinosaur suggested, be sure the league or your assignor knows they've got a problem.

In the future, I suggest you ALWAYS have a good two or three minute check in with the table for every game. By politely questioning the table person or people ("I've never met you before, let's see how much you know") and firmly reminding them that they are now "officials" for this game, you can get a feel for what might be in store for you. And then, as the game gets going, it's always good to sort of keep a close eye on the scoreboard and the table and just make sure they're tracking with you. At the first TO or stoppage, check with them that they're doing okay. This is especially good in the first couple weeks of the season.

Mark Padgett Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:56pm

A few years ago during a game in our local kids rec league, I looked over and the person keeping the book had vanished. I went over to the person working the scoreboard and asked what happened. He said, "Oh, she had to go to the bathroom." I asked him if she had asked him to keep the book also while she was gone and he said, "No, she seemed really in a rush."

While I was asking if anyone else would come down to the table, she returned. I actually thought I saw toilet paper sticking to her shoe, but I didn't pursue it. :)