The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 or 3-Person (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38350-2-3-person.html)

Mountaineer Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:02am

2 or 3-Person

This may have been discussed ad nauseum on this board and if so, I apologize. I just returned from seeing an old coaching buddy (I coached for 15 years prior to officiating) in Maryland. He told me they still use 2-person in Maryland which got me thinking . . .

How many other states are using 2 vs. 3 person crews? In WV, we use 3-person for all varsity games and many jv levels as well. Occasionally, you'll see a 3-person on the middle school level.

What do you use in your state?

Adam Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07am

In CO, it's three for most varsity (with the occasional small school exception) in the regular season. three in post season regardless. In some of the larger cities, they're using three person in sub-varsity to help build experience for younger officials. Middles school, normally 1 and a half.

Back In The Saddle Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:08am

I'm delighted to say that Utah is finally introducing 3 person. It's only for 5A boys varsity, but it's a start!

Back In The Saddle Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Middles school, normally 1 and a half.

I was going to say that I've worked with that guy (the "and a half"), but then I realized that I've also been that guy too. :D

Adam Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I was going to say that I've worked with that guy (the "and a half"), but then I realized that I've also been that guy too. :D

I can deal with those guys, we were all there once. It's the ones that stay that guy that drive me batty. Then again, for $12.50/game....

Back In The Saddle Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I can deal with those guys, we were all there once. It's the ones that stay that guy that drive me batty. Then again, for $12.50/game....

I certainly hope you're taking $6.25 of his check! :eek:

mbyron Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

I like your humility. Presumably, we've all been that guy. :o

JoeTheRef Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:49am

Georgia we use 3-person for all Varisity girls and boys. 2 for Sub-Varsity.

JRutledge Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:56am

Three Person officiating in our state is an individual school or individual conference decision. Back in 1998 was the first season our state used 3 Person for all playoff games in both Boy's and Girl's Basketball. That pretty much made schools and conferences use the 3 Person system so they would see the same thing in both regular and post season. Now there are still some conferences that use 2 Person, but those are very rare.

Peace

Smitty Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:28am

Oregon = 2 person for all levels

Rich Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:50am

In Wisconsin it's been slowly coming into effect, mainly cause the state won't simply require it for varsity play, even though they have gone on record supporting it.

zebraman Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:55am

Washington State: State tournaments have been 3-person for a few years. Most associations have been working 3-person at most of their varsity games and some JV.

Starting with this season, it is mandated by the Washington Officials Association and WIAA to use 3-person crews at all varsity games.

cmathews Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:08pm

the Cowboy State

In Wyoming we are slowly but surely coming around. Last year the schools could use 3 person if they chose to and negotiate the fees. This year they can use 3 person if they choose, but the fee is $55 per person. The post season is still 2 person, but will change next year. With this in mind, our association sent out a letter stating the schools that wanted 3 person crews got priority over those that didn't.....

Adam Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews
In Wyoming we are slowly but surely coming around. Last year the schools could use 3 person if they chose to and negotiate the fees. This year they can use 3 person if they choose, but the fee is $55 per person. The post season is still 2 person, but will change next year. With this in mind, our association sent out a letter stating the schools that wanted 3 person crews got priority over those that didn't.....

Nice.

wanja Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:32pm

In NJ its 2 person, except for 3 person for later round state tournament games, some high level private tournaments, some private school games and a lot of scrimmages.

In the Philadelphia area its basically the same as NJ except all state tourney games are 3 person and all Catholic League boys varsity games are 3 person.