The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

I hope someone can help me find where it states in the rule book that if A1 is driving to the hoop and beats B1 but while B2 is guarding A2 and not facing or recognizing that his teammate has been beaten and A1 drives into a stationary B2 from behind or side is it PC or block?
My interpretation for a PC foul the defense must first establish a legal guarding position both feet on floor facing the opponent after that the defense may move side to side or back up without penalty and the responsibility lies with the offense to not contact the torso of the defender in an advantageous way.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 06:38pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I hope someone can help me find where it states in the rule book that if A1 is driving to the hoop and beats B1 but while B2 is guarding A2 and not facing or recognizing that his teammate has been beaten and A1 drives into a stationary B2 from behind or side is it PC or block?
My interpretation for a PC foul the defense must first establish a legal guarding position both feet on floor facing the opponent after that the defense may move side to side or back up without penalty and the responsibility lies with the offense to not contact the torso of the defender in an advantageous way.
MOFFICIAL,
Sounds like a PC.
A1 had the ball
B2 was not illegal, therefor he was legal.
B2 has a right to his position on the floor.
B2 was at the point of contact first.
A1 caused the contact.

In high school, we have a PC or nuthin'.
In college we got nuthin' most times, depending on amount of contact.

mick
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

MOFFICIAL,

The relevant rules are NFHS 4-27-4 and 4-39.

When a defender is not guarding, treat him as a screener in situations such as the one you outlined.

So, yes, it was a PC foul (charge) if it wasn't incidental and B2 did not cause the contact according to the rules of screening.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

one good way to look at calling block charge situation is who initiated contact. well, even though he hadnt faced the guy, like it was earlier mentioned, every player is entitled to a spot to the floor, and providing if B2 has not moved into the torso of A1 incidental or not, and A1 initiates the contact, i say PC, and going the other way!~
another thing that is tough for officials i think to call, is when you have A1 and B1 come together and they both initiate contact, what do u call? i say swallow the whistle, if contact was initiated by both players, who do u call the foul on? you cant call it on the defense, just because the offensive player has the ball, it doesnt give him an advantage when he initiates contact..
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

It's a PC.

Legal guarding position only adds the priviledge of movement and verticality. A stationary player who is not and never was in legal guarding position (facing away, for example) is still capable of drawing the PC foul, just as one in legal guarding position.