The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Question

This recently happened in Houston. After a hard foul, 8 players from one bench leave to enter the floor anticipating a fight. The officials awarded 16 free throws for this action. We all know that this is wrong, and that only 2 free throws should have been awarded since the players off the bench did not PARTICIPATE in a fight.

My question is......since each player off the bench is given a flagrent T, are there now 8 additional team fouls in the book working toward the bonus?

In the casebook, the only play that specifically addresses the fouls "toward the bonus" is 10.4.4C. All of the other plays just talk about the players and subs being given flagrant Ts.

Rule 10-4-4 Penalty states....Flagrant foul, DQ of individual offender, BUT ONLY ONE TECHNICAL FOUL PENALTY IS ADMINISTERED REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF OFFENDERS....

Rule 4-32-1 states....The penalty for a foul is the charging of the offender with the foul and awarding a free throw(s) and/or ball for a throw-in as specified by the type of infraction committed.

Rule 4-8-2 states....PC fouls and T fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus......

Since 10-4-4 states only one penalty is administered and 4-8-2 states each T counts toward the bonus, which rule takes precendent over the other? Since the casebook was silent as far as non-participants on the floor during the fight, what is the justification for your response?

I thought that I was pretty clear on this administrative situation, which is what this really is, until I started getting a lot deeper in the book when discussing this last night.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
My question is......since each player off the bench is given a flagrent T, are there now 8 additional team fouls in the book working toward the bonus?

In the casebook, the only play that specifically addresses the fouls "toward the bonus" is 10.4.4C. All of the other plays just talk about the players and subs being given flagrant Ts.

Rule 10-4-4 Penalty states....Flagrant foul, DQ of individual offender, BUT ONLY ONE TECHNICAL FOUL PENALTY IS ADMINISTERED REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF OFFENDERS....
10.4.4C is applicable here.

The only one penalty refers to FT's and to indirect t's on the coach (which never count against the bonus - the direct T which resulted in an indirect T counts). You still charge the team with all of the fouls as all of the fouls have occured. The other team will now have at least a one-and-one for any non-shooting, non-PC, non-any more flagrant/intentional fouls.