The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 08:33am
Jerry Blum

Last night I had a Frosh Girls game and gave the visiting team a delay warning for knocking the ball away after a made basket. The scorer that we had was a student who was unsure what to do. My question is how are the scorer's supposed to keep track of the warning's given or is the responsibility of the officials to remember the warnings that were given?

I just had the scorer mark the book at the bottom of the visiting teams page in the score book with something that I would remember what it was for.

Thanks for the responses
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 08:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
Last night I had a Frosh Girls game and gave the visiting team a delay warning for knocking the ball away after a made basket. The scorer that we had was a student who was unsure what to do. My question is how are the scorer's supposed to keep track of the warning's given or is the responsibility of the officials to remember the warnings that were given?

I just had the scorer mark the book at the bottom of the visiting teams page in the score book with something that I would remember what it was for.

Thanks for the responses
Jerry,

If you go to the attached link and then go to During the course of the game : 2.g., you will see no specific mechanic for the scorekeeper.
http://www.nfhs.org/Downlaods/intr_bsktball_scorers.pdf

Just have them make a note, like you did, but also, make sure to let your partner(s) know that the warning was issued.
mick
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I think a [very] few scorebooks actually have a little box to check for the delay warnings.

If not, there should be enough room in the margins of the book. I suggest having the scorer write something along the lines of:
"Delay - Ball - 3:18 1st" / "Delay - Plane - 7:19 2nd" / "Delay - FT - 5:00 - 3rd"
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Additional notes

The entry should be as thorough, so that if there is a challenge later you have specifics to help you recall when and where the 1st violation occurred; such as game clock time, team scores, etc...
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Yes have the scorekeeper mark it, but you better remember the delay warnings, and know exactly what they are for. This is a personal opinion but I think an official would look pretty dumb blowing a whistle for the second infraction and then going to the book and asking them what delay warning had been given and then issuing the T. There are only 3 warnings you have to remember. The reason it is written down in the book is so that if the coach wants to argue, you can point out the time the warning was given. ( the same reason that scorekeepers write down the time of the timeout)
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

I Agree Kelvin

Officials' game awareness implies that s/he should know that info (how many & type of delay warnings have been given), I suggested the thorough documentation of these incidents as "back-up" if the coach has a short memory.