The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Last night at a high school JV boys game, we have lined up to shoot the first of a two shot foul. I am positioned at trail and the shooter has posession of the ball when A2, standing next to B2, motions to B2 he wants his spot and they exchange places. I whistle a double violation, we cancel the first shot and continue from that point.

Thinking about it later, I wonder if we should have gone to the arrow at some point because of the double violation?

Comments with rule - casebook back up please.

Ranjo
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Ranjo,

You did it perfect. The only time you'd go to the arrow is if it was the last free throw. See case 9.1.3.A for handling it on the last free throw. In your case, you just cancel the first free throw and move on to the second just like you did.

Z
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

It happened last night

The NCAA wants us to catch the first offender on free throw line violations. Unless of course, they both violate simultaneously.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Don't forget to remind these two turkeys there are two shots forthcoming, and they could have always changed after the first shot.

Also, make sure A2 didn't "force out" B2 by saying "hey, I want this spot. (shove) Move outta my way." If this was the case, I'd just call a violation on A2, because B2 was "forced" into an unfavorable position.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Case Book, 9.1.4 Comment says, "If a Team B player uses verbal tactics like 'you're in my space' or a time-out request to fake an opponent into violations, only the fake is penalized."
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Also, make sure A2 didn't "force out" B2 by saying "hey, I want this spot. (shove) Move outta my way." If this was the case, I'd just call a violation on A2, because B2 was "forced" into an unfavorable position.
Remember, tho, that there is no more "force out" rule. If the contact put him at a disadvantage, call the foul. If the ball is dead (not yet at shooter's disposal), it's a T.

And yes, YES, I'm just kidding!! I'm in quite the mood for my girls' game tonight.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: It happened last night

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
The NCAA wants us to catch the first offender on free throw line violations. Unless of course, they both violate simultaneously.
It's not just *want to*, it's the rule.

Suppose A is shooting FTs.

If A1 violates, we have an immediate dead ball. No player on B can violate after this---the FT attempt is over.

If B1 violates, then we have a delayed violation. If A1 violates after B1 *and both of them are in lane spaces*, then by rule (new this year) this is considered a violation on B. Give A another shot.

If either player in the last paragraph is not in a lane space, then we have a double violation. Go to the arrow.

And, as you pointed out, if the violations is simultaneous, then go to the arrow.