The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shoes for refereeing basketball... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/37547-shoes-refereeing-basketball.html)

26 Year Gap Thu Aug 16, 2007 08:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
It would be, but when you are as good as me Nike gives you a shoe deal.;)

Don't tell them about the dogs.

26 Year Gap Thu Aug 16, 2007 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra1
I been dyin` to get a pair of those ,Where did you find them!!!;)

google.com....where else?

Mark Dexter Thu Aug 16, 2007 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Found these, but they might be coaching shoes.

Only if you like patent leather.

blindzebra1 Thu Aug 16, 2007 08:47pm

Tanks guy,your neat.:p

JRutledge Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:11pm

Quote:

And guys, stop the madness, buy one pair of standard sneaks,and one pair of patent leather, and don`t be cheap,(you can deduct whatever you buy off your taxes) Use the patent leather for you big crowd games,or hotly contested weekend tournaments. And use the standard sneaks for you rec leagues,and little kid games,etc.:cool: [/B]

Some people do not like the feel or the fit of the patent leather shoes (that are currently available). I know I do not like the Reebok patent leather shoes and I have a pair of them and wore them only a handful of times. I am sure some people are not allowed to wear them in certain situations.

The issue is not whether or not you have a pair of patented leather shoes. The issue is if you have a pair of shoes that you like and are comfortable for what you are using them for. I agree that you should have a pair of shoes for the regular season games. I just bought a pair of NB 888 this summer that was the high tops style and I do not like the way they feel on my ankles. But I know people that swear by them.

All of us have different issues when we wear shoes. I like a pair I wear during my varsity games. I have a pair I wear for college games. I have a pair I wear for lower levels. And I even bought a different pair I used almost only for summer ball (different surfaces).

Peace

blindzebra1 Fri Aug 17, 2007 08:33am

shoes

JR,I agree, Different pairs for different levels,But I can`t see;or understand why all this hard work,these guys go through, to get,their shoes shiny/polished,when their are lots of patent leather shoes out on the market,it seems a little crazy to me:confused:

Jimgolf Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:17am

Quote:

JR,I agree, Different pairs for different levels,But I can`t see;or understand why all this hard work,these guys go through, to get,their shoes shiny/polished,when their are lots of patent leather shoes out on the market,it seems a little crazy to me:confused:

Two reasons really. Many people think that patent leather shoes look like cheap plastic. The other is that shining your shoes says something about you. It may mean that you care about your appearance and are willing to work at looking professional, or it may mean that you're a narcissist.

But what does wearing patent leather say about you? That you can shop? That you can't be bothered shining your shoes? Or that you allocate your time wisely?

That's for others to decide.

If I were in a situation where my success relied on how someone else was rating me, I'd be more concerned about what the more successful officials do and follow their lead.

CLH Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddie_g2001
I went to Tony Stigliano's basketball Camp this summer and I worked a lot of games, like 6 games a day. My feet were killing me. I talked to a few other officials and Someone mentioned finding black running shoes, because they had better support. Wondering where I could find some all black running shoes to Work Games. Any help would be [email protected]

You must have gone to Denton, you probably saw me, I wan the incredibly good looking guy that worked 20 friggin' games!!!!! :eek:

CLH

bob jenkins Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Two reasons really. Many people think that patent leather shoes look like cheap plastic.

That's because they are plastic (although not always cheap).

blindzebra1 Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Two reasons really. Many people think that patent leather shoes look like cheap plastic. The other is that shining your shoes says something about you. It may mean that you care about your appearance and are willing to work at looking professional, or it may mean that you're a narcissist.

But what does wearing patent leather say about you? That you can shop? That you can't be bothered shining your shoes? Or that you allocate your time wisely?

That's for others to decide.

If I were in a situation where my success relied on how someone else was rating me, I'd be more concerned about what the more successful officials do and follow their lead.

I think you got it backwards, wearing patent leather IS so you can follow what more successful officials do, by spending less time doing mudane things like shining my shoes.And patent leather has come a long way,it`s looks good.If patent leather is good enough for us on the force and in the military,it`s good enough to ref some games in. And yes I shop very well.:cool:

Jurassic Referee Fri Aug 17, 2007 01:13pm

Quote:

I think you got it backwards, wearing patent leather IS so you can follow what more successful officials do,

Oh? Have you got any proof that more successful officials actually do that? If so, please provide it. Or are you just saying that to bolster your own, personal opinion?

blindzebra1 Fri Aug 17, 2007 01:36pm

shoes

[quote=Jurassic Referee]Oh? Have you got any proof that more successful officials actually do that? If so, please provide it. Or are you just saying that to bolster your own, personal opinion?[/quote

Help me lord!

No, I`m saying, One of the reasons patent leather shoes are used, is to save time.Shining/polishing boots/shoes/sneaks.etc is very time consuming,it once,years ago was a sign of diligence,well it still is, somewhat, I give you that, but the point I`m trying to make is. IT is no longer required.You can buy your boots/shoes/sneaks,already shined,and get too doin`.

`Kay Pumpkin?:)

JRutledge Fri Aug 17, 2007 01:42pm

Quote:

I think you got it backwards, wearing patent leather IS so you can follow what more successful officials do, by spending less time doing mudane things like shining my shoes.And patent leather has come a long way,it`s looks good.If patent leather is good enough for us on the force and in the military,it`s good enough to ref some games in. And yes I shop very well.:cool:

I do not completely agree with this. It is true that the military and several police forces might use patent leather shoes, but I do not agree that you have to be a successful official based on the shoes you wear. Actually I do not see very many officials at the highest of levels wear patent leather shoes. Actually patent leather shoes seem to be more of a HS thing and a fading fad.

That is why I will continue to say that what you wear on your feet is very personal. You are not going to convince people that believe in what they do to change. Ultimately shoes should fit and be comfortable for whatever level you do. If they look good that is a plus.

Peace

rainmaker Fri Aug 17, 2007 01:45pm

Quote:

patent leather is because someone likes it, not because it's inherently better. When my assignor tells me I"ll get better games if I wear shinier shoes, I'll invest. Meantime, my not really very shiny all black real leather shoes work just fine, and don't take a lot of time.

blindzebra1 Fri Aug 17, 2007 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not completely agree with this. It is true that the military and several police forces might use patent leather shoes, but I do not agree that you have to be a successful official based on the shoes you wear. Actually I do not see very many officials at the highest of levels wear patent leather shoes. Actually patent leather shoes seem to be more of a HS thing and a fading fad.

That is why I will continue to say that what you wear on your feet is very personal. You are not going to convince people that believe in what they do to change. Ultimately shoes should fit and be comfortable for whatever level you do. If they look good that is a plus.

Peace

Tru dat,tru dat, but here in the new york area they are a growing trend, for players,I mean,you`ll see.