The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Situation:

Your the L and you've just administered the 2nd of 2 ft's. After A1 shoots, B1 and A2 (on the low blocks) jockey for rebounding position. Noone is fouling, just blocking out. Shot goes in. B1 falls to the ground as he turns to run down court. A2 who is on the endline side of B1 turns, sees B1 on the ground and instead of jumping over him or stepping around him or trying to avoid contact...looks down at player B1 and steps on his "jewels."

At this point (4th quarter) A is losing the game by 15 after having a 10 point lead.

What would you call?

Please specify in your response whether you are discussing a NFHS or an NCAA ruling. I'd like to hear from both camps.

Thanks very much,

Jake
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it matter what set of rules you go buy, he is watching the rest of the game with a splinter in his bum.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I don't think it matter what set of rules you go buy, he is watching the rest of the game with a splinter in his bum.
i appreciate your humor, but please tell me what call you'd have and what the resulting penalty of said call would be.

thanks.

jake
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

It depends now.

Well, did the player see the other on the floor? Or did he just get tangled up with him? It does make a difference if you felt it was intentional or not.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Jake,

I'd definitely have (at least) a Technical foul here. In college, it'd be intentional T (dead ball contact). 2 shots plus the ball at midcourt, in either HS or college. Depending on the severity of the "stomp", you could certainly justify a flagrant if it was hard enough. I've had a kid step on an opponent's chest, but never on his stones. What did you do?

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

You would need to see the play and determine if it was intentional/flagrant. This is all hypothetical but:

From the description, it sounds like it was flagrant. I think you issue the flagrant T, buh bye, and hello paperwork.

Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Jake,

I'd definitely have (at least) a Technical foul here. In college, it'd be intentional T (dead ball contact). 2 shots plus the ball at midcourt, in either HS or college. Depending on the severity of the "stomp", you could certainly justify a flagrant if it was hard enough. I've had a kid step on an opponent's chest, but never on his stones. What did you do?

Chuck
to answer JRut - the player from A definitely stepped on the player intentionally. does that help you answer the question? if so, please tell me what you'd do.

Chuck - this was a h.s. game, so i issued a T and gave them the ball as proscribed. I agree that in college the intentional Technical would have been the appropriate call.

I don't feel like the act was flagrant enough to warrant an ejection (he didn't give a good hard STOMP, but rather he "stepped" on the stones), but it was certainly an intentional act.

My biggest concern however would be what to do if this were a live ball situation - which it may have been at this point. B might have had the ball ready to inbound, not sure b/c i was watching A1 step on B1. Both rules books are specific that a Technical foul (or an Int. Tech and Flag. Tech in NCAA) are penalties that occur when the ball is dead.

what if the ball had been live?

Jake
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I would give the player a flagrant foul. Two shots, the ball, and one ejection.

Take this situation for example, A1 has the ball. B1 is in legal, albeit tight, guarding position. A1 knees B1 in the 'stones' and then proceeds to dribble around B1 who is lying on the floor (and you get extra credit if you can tell me if I was the giver or givee on this play).

I liken this situation to a thrown and landed punch or elbow. The fact that the player was on the ground should not come into play.

[Edited by Rookie on Jan 16th, 2002 at 02:25 PM]
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
to answer JRut - the player from A definitely stepped on the player intentionally. does that help you answer the question? if so, please tell me what you'd do.

Chuck - this was a h.s. game, so i issued a T and gave them the ball as proscribed. I agree that in college the intentional Technical would have been the appropriate call.
Jake
Technically, this is an intentional technical in HS, too. Dead ball contact is ignored unless it is flagrant or intentional.

If this were a live-ball foul, it would be common (I doubt it!), intentional, or flagrant.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:27pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
I would give the player a flagrant foul. Two shots, the ball, and one ejection.

Take this situation for example, A1 has the ball. B1 is in legal, albeit tight, guarding position. A1 knees B1 in the 'stones' and then proceeds to dribble around B1 who is lying on the floor (and you get extra credit if you can tell me if I was the giver or givee on this play).

I liken this situation to a thrown and landed punch or elbow. The fact that the player was on the ground should not come into play.

[Edited by Rookie on Jan 16th, 2002 at 02:25 PM]
Something tells me that it was your fleshy fun bag that got nailed......