The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Im an upcomming new ref and i was wondering how much body contact does it take to draw a foul ?
say A1 drives to the hole and B1 is in the middle of the lane and B2 is on the right being right handed A1 moves to the right throws up a layup and in the process B1 was hit just enough for contact putting A1 off balance during the shot what should happen here i would usually call a foul in the resulting of contact and falling of on the floor like some other offical may but what would you do

thanks
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

The rules state that any contact which causes an illegal advantage or disadvantage is a foul. In other words any contact that has an effect on play should be called.

Obviously the higher the standard of play, the more contact that is rquired to cause an advantage/disadvantage. For example, a player hand-checking Shaq on the low post will probably not cause a disadvantage, but the same level of contact in a Under 12 boys game might be a huge disadvantage. U Follow?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

yes thank you
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 08:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveRef702
Im an upcomming new ref and i was wondering how much body contact does it take to draw a foul ?
say A1 drives to the hole and B1 is in the middle of the lane and B2 is on the right being right handed A1 moves to the right throws up a layup and in the process B1 was hit just enough for contact putting A1 off balance during the shot what should happen here i would usually call a foul in the resulting of contact and falling of on the floor like some other offical may but what would you do

SteveRef,
If B1 was standing there and not moving toward A1, when A1's movement caused the contact, and A1 lost balance and fell to the floor, the I have a no-call, because B1 did nothing wrong and A1's action put himself in a disadvantageous position.
mick
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

SteveRef702,

One thing that will help you decide if it's a foul is to "ref the defense." Watching the defense will help you judge whether the offensive player or defensive player committed a foul. Whether the defender established legal guarding position is critical in deciding who the foul is on.

In this situation, it sounds like A1 initiated the contact. If so, you either have a nothing or a player-control foul on A1. But since it's only slight contact, it doesn't sound like you had a player-control foul . If you were watching the defense, you would know if B1 moved into A1 or perhaps moved under A1 after A1 went airborne which would then be a block on B1 (if you judged that there was enough contact for a foul).

Z
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

referee the defense and think like the offence. Don't penalize the defense if they did nothing wrong. If they have NOT obtained legal gaurding position, call the block, but on the other hand, don't be afraid to call the charge, and SELL IT! it is advantage disadvantage.

Now it B right

[Edited by Doug on Jan 16th, 2002 at 07:00 AM]
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Correction

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
.... If they have obtained legal gaurding position, call the block, but on the other hand, don't be afraid to call the charge, and SELL IT! it is advantage disadvantage
If they have obtained legal gaurding position, do NOT call the block...

Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Talking

thanks willie!

[Edited by Doug on Jan 16th, 2002 at 07:16 AM]
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Nada problem
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 11:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
According to the NF rulebook, it takes 18.7 pounds per square inch of pressure on a player to mandate a foul call. Of course, international rules are different because they are metric. In FEEBLE (FIBA), it's 9.56 kilos per cubic hectare.

That's why we all bring our pressure gauges to games. Fox makes a really good one.

If you forget to bring your gauge, just rely on the howler monkeys to let you know when there should be a foul.

The alternative method is to just call all contact against the visitors. That way, you'll get a lot of games in the home gym.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
According to the NF rulebook, it takes 18.7 pounds per square inch of pressure on a player to mandate a foul call. Of course, international rules are different because they are metric. In FEEBLE (FIBA), it's 9.56 kilos per cubic hectare.
Mark, is there any adjustment for games at high altitudes, as the air pressure is different?

BTW, what is up with you today?