The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Getting in Shape to Ref (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/37120-getting-shape-ref.html)

bbref Thu Aug 02, 2007 09:58am

Thanks for all the input. I see running is the number 1 answer. I believe I will go with yoga for flexibility and injury prevention. Keep doing the suicides minus backwards (I can see where a broken tailbone could happen). Couple of miles per day of running?? May be do some 1 on 1 with my daughter.

Thanks all.

Mark Padgett Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
basketball reffing is a lot of running 30 meters, stopping for a few seconds, then running 30 meters the other direction.

Uh-oh! Dex has gone over to the dark side! :eek:

Mark Dexter Thu Aug 02, 2007 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

:D

Thought you'd enjoy it.

Mark Padgett Thu Aug 02, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
unless Nike has new improved shoes that makes us run faster, jump higher and always make the right call..... ?

Yes, they do. It's the new Jon Diebler autographed model. It also makes your lunch, washes your car and trims your nose hairs. :)

Back In The Saddle Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I do agree that you should work some sprints in, too - basketball reffing is a lot of running 30 meters, stopping for a few seconds, then running 30 meters the other direction.

Baseline to baseline? Where's your partner? :eek:

Jay R Fri Aug 03, 2007 05:58am

Quote:

Imagine if he had spelled it "metres".

Mark Padgett Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R
Imagine if he had spelled it "metres".

Please - I just ate. :p

26 Year Gap Mon Aug 06, 2007 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
P.S. I tried this method.... (reading the rule books 3 times before camp and NO running). Not a good idea for the body. I blew out my Quads... took two weeks to recover and I missed some valuable taping and instruction by not being able to Ref the scrimmages.

Running for endurance and sprints for real life on the floor.... unless Nike has new improved shoes that makes us run faster, jump higher and always make the right call..... ? two out of three?

You are thinking of the late, great PF Flyers.

bgtg19 Thu Aug 09, 2007 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbref
I see running is the number 1 answer. I believe I will go with yoga for flexibility and injury prevention.

I agree that running is the best thing you can do to "get in shape" for officiating. As others have suggested, add variety to the kinds of running you are doing. (Run fast at times; run for distance/endurance at other times; etc.)

I write here to add that, whether or not you are participating in yoga, the most important thing you can do for flexibility and injury prevention is to stretch properly. For the most part, this stretching is done after your run, when your muscles are warmed up. Good luck.

Mark Padgett Thu Aug 09, 2007 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
You are thinking of the late, great PF Flyers.

When I was a kid in my old neighborhood back in the 19th century, we all wore PF Flyers. Some kid moved into the area and brought his Keds. We beat him up a few times, then he begged his mom to get him the "right" shoes. I think he grew up to be a coach.

BTW - the "PF" stood for "Posture Foundation". Just another piece of useless trivia I know. My wife says my head is "a repository of crap".

also BTW - I even know how big Scrooge McDuck's money bin is and also what those elliptical chrome holes on the sides of old Chryslers were called. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...s/driving2.gif

blindzebra1 Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:20am

[QUOTE=Mark Padgett]When I was a kid in my old neighborhood back in the 19th century, we all wore PF Flyers. Some kid moved into the area and brought his Keds. We beat him up a few times, then he begged his mom to get him the "right" shoes. I think he grew up to be a coach.

BTW - the "PF" stood for "Posture Foundation". Just another piece of useless trivia I know. My wife says my head is "a repository of crap".

also BTW - I even know how big Scrooge McDuck's money bin is and also what those elliptical chrome holes on the sides of old Chryslers were called.

their is a definite need for medication for you.

Mark Padgett Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra1
Quote:

When I was a kid in my old neighborhood back in the 19th century, we all wore PF Flyers. Some kid moved into the area and brought his Keds. We beat him up a few times, then he begged his mom to get him the "right" shoes. I think he grew up to be a coach.

also BTW - I even know how big Scrooge McDuck's money bin is and also what those elliptical chrome holes on the sides of old Chryslers were called.

their is a definite need for medication for you.

OK - since no one asked - here's the answers:

Scrooge McDuck's money bin is three cubic acres and the holes on the old Chryslers were called "Cruiserline Ventaports". If there's any other useless piece of information you would like to know, just ask. You know, something like what was the name of Rootie Kazootie's dog? :)

brandan89 Mon Aug 20, 2007 03:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbref
New to being a ref. Will begin classes next week. Just wondering what workout regimen or ideas to get in top shape. I have been doing suicides backwards, forwards and sideways. Also do a couple of power yoga classes per week as well as a couple of days of tennis for 1-1/2 hours.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Please dont do suicides backwards & please dont actually run backwards in ANY game. Take it from someone who had to learn in the hard way. I broke my wrist doing this. On the more serious note....it doesent look perfessional.

GFS-1 Tue Aug 21, 2007 07:08pm

Most guys and gals just do a lot of running. I always have a Banana 30 min prior
to the contest.

zebraman Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23pm

Quote:

OK - since no one asked - here's the answers:

Scrooge McDuck's money bin is three cubic acres and the holes on the old Chryslers were called "Cruiserline Ventaports". If there's any other useless piece of information you would like to know, just ask. You know, something like what was the name of Rootie Kazootie's dog? :)

Gala Poochie Pup. No, I'm not old like you but I do know how to Google. :)

The dog was originally named Nipper but was changed to Gala Poochie Pup when RCA stopped advertising on the show.

Thanks a lot for wasting 2 minutes of my day!