The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Memberships

This has probably been addressed before, but I have only found comments on IAABO.

Question: What Officials Associations should one be a member of? In Texas I must join TASO thru my local chapter. What about NFHS? IAABO? Excel Sports Officiating? etc.... I would like to have access to the rules online and I think NFHS provides that.... Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Tim... I was wondering about my chapters affiliation with NFHS. I will send an email inquiring.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Spluth, The reason you join TASO is that the UIL (the governing body for HS sports in texas) requires use of officials registered with TASO. There is an IAABO chapter in Houston. You can get more information at the IAABO website.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Frank. Does our chapter membership in TASO include NFHS? Do you recommend any other organizations beyond TASO?
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

My only interest currently is High School/Middle School, etc. So I only belong to TASO.

TASO has an affiliation NFHS. See the TASO website (www.taso.org), but I do not believe it gives us as individual memebers access to the NFHS site for on-line rules.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 05:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
My only interest currently is High School/Middle School, etc. So I only belong to TASO.

TASO has an affiliation NFHS. See the TASO website (www.taso.org), but I do not believe it gives us as individual memebers access to the NFHS site for on-line rules.
If I read it correctly, I think it said they give you a NFHS membership card, which means you can access the online material. You just have to sign up.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
If I read it correctly, I think it said they give you a NFHS membership card, which means you can access the online material. You just have to sign up.
If you are getting the NHFS quarterly publication in the mail, the info you need to register for online access is on the mailing label.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I will keep an eye out for that. Not happening yet, but it has only been a few months since I completed the paperwork (annual signup).
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I would like to have access to the rules online and I think NFHS provides that.... Any comments would be appreciated.
Buy the Athletic Rules Study CD. It has the Rule Book, Case Book, and S&I Book on the CD, which you can copy to your hard drive. You won't have to be online to access it.

Plus, you get 1000 NFHS test questions in computer program format.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Sweet BBR... Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Let me google it now....
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
If you are getting the NHFS quarterly publication in the mail, the info you need to register for online access is on the mailing label.
Thank you for pointing that out. We get NFHS membership when we register here in Utah. But I never knew how to get access to the online publications. It was right under my nose all along!
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Buy the Athletic Rules Study CD. It has the Rule Book, Case Book, and S&I Book on the CD, which you can copy to your hard drive. You won't have to be online to access it.

Plus, you get 1000 NFHS test questions in computer program format.
I agree, it's a great tool - been using it for several years now. I particularly like its search capabilities - very useful!

The built in test questions are a great way to firm up your rules knowledge & help you find your weak points. After flirting with it the last few years, I finally got my "possible" on last year's test..........