The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Question Off-Season Preparation

Here in Oregon the "Camp and Summer Season" have come to an end and all that remains is the 3-on-3 tournaments. For me the part that's really frustrating about the summer season is how short it is. When March comes around I'm usually ready for the season to be over and need a break from the game both physically and mentally. After about a month or so some tournaments pop up and they're fun to work because you get to go back out on the court and see how much you've lost with a month of doing nothing but watch the NCAA tournament. June rolls around and that's when everything comes to a head. If you wanted to you could go to a camp every weekend in June and first two weeks in July. Summer league starts up and there are Boys and Girls games to work practically everyday of the week. Weekends have mini tournaments that feature some of the best club teams in the area and also those high school teams that you've been working during the week. You go to a camp and you get all this feedback and things to work on. You take that and apply it to your summer league games the next week. Another camp rolls around and you try to build on what you've already accomplished. Then it all ends!

You've dedicated yourself to the game and your personal improvement and now you have to sit and wait for September/October to roll around before you can get a taste of some "Fall Ball," or you just have to wait for the season to start up in late November.

My mom use to always make me read books, take summer classes, go to camp during my summers to stay fresh so I didn't go brain dead and once classes started the transition from doing nothing to homework everyday wasn't so painful. My question to all of you is what do you do to keep from being "stale" while we have to sit and wait for the calendar to strike October?

Last edited by tlieb; Fri Jul 13, 2007 at 12:51pm.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 12:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlieb
My question to all of you is what do you do to keep from being "stale" while we have to sit and wait for the calendar to strike October?
I like to fish.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I work other sports and I watch sports. Spend time with my family and this summer I will go to most University of Michigan football games in Ann Arbor. One of the games will be on my birthday. So I will be able to spend time in the same place I was born.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 01:01pm
Ch1town

I know it's frowned upon for the most part, but quality, upper level mens recreation ball keeps me working every other day.

And I just started working the Pro Am circuit, officiating players like Smooth (Pistons), Demarr Johnson (Nuggets) & college players/grads keeps my game pretty fresh!
I really believe officiating this high caliber of -above the rim- basketball is going to make officiating varsity hs games much more easier. Using the 24 second shot clock, 8 seconds & illegal defense almost feels like working in the league... well we still call travel though
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 01:55pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
I really believe officiating this high caliber of -above the rim- basketball is going to make officiating varsity hs games much more easier. Using the 24 second shot clock, 8 seconds & illegal defense almost feels like working in the league... well we still call travel though
Like we are going to be doing in Canada from now on.....thats same as FIBA rules. Even the travel.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 05:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

tlieb - I see you live here in Tigard, like me. Are you interested in working our local rec league that starts in Dec.? It's kids grades 3 - 12 and is a real lot of fun. If so, email me. Thanks. [email protected]
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Which Liebman is it? Dad or son? )
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 06:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Which Liebman is it? Dad or son? )
Must be dad. Son's name starts with "J". Unless the "t" in "tlieb" means "the".
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 07:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I work other sports and I watch sports. Spend time with my family and this summer I will go to most University of Michigan football games in Ann Arbor. One of the games will be on my birthday. So I will be able to spend time in the same place I was born.

Peace

Rut:

Happy Birthday in the future, but Penn State is not going to give you the birthday present you are hoping for. Go BUCKEYES!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Rut:

Happy Birthday in the future, but Penn State is not going to give you the birthday present you are hoping for. Go BUCKEYES!!

MTD, Sr.
If everything goes well, I will be at all the home games in Ann Arbor during September (I might skip Appalachian State game). I may go to the Ohio State game as well. But we will have to see when the post season comes out in football. I know already that game will be a given.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 11:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If everything goes well, I will be at all the home games in Ann Arbor during September (I might skip Appalachian State game). I may go to the Ohio State game as well. But we will have to see when the post season comes out in football. I know already that game will be a given.

Peace

Rut:

After the Ohio State game your preseason maybe "Preperation H"

Have a good summer.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Another sport is a good choice - lots of folks from PBOA work more than one. Come Sept I'll be immersed in volleyball........

An outdoor hobby is another option. As JR mentioned, fishing is one example. Personally I get a lot of local scuba diving in during July & August - usually at least 2 weekends a month in either Puget Sound or Hood Canal doing fish counts for REEF or U/W photo stuff. Got another 6 gill shark photo dive planned for mid August.......
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Must be dad. Son's name starts with "J". Unless the "t" in "tlieb" means "the".
Actually it's an unofficial nickname I've picked up along the way Mark. You should know from all the questions I use to ask about technical fouls!?
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlieb
Actually it's an unofficial nickname I've picked up along the way Mark. You should know from all the questions I use to ask about technical fouls!?
I thought it might be you, not your Dad. If you want to work TBA this year, let me know. Garrett Abbott is going to be the coordinator. I think you guys might have gone to HS together.

BTW - as long as they don't call you "Mr. T", you're OK. That's my nickname.