The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Partner's late...How do you cover the court?

Well, it finally happened and they said it would, my partner did not show for a varsity game last night until half time. It must have been 90 degrees in that gym and I was running around like a chicken with its head cut-off. I had a friend in the stands who said I did a great job considering the situation...also stated it looked pretty funny at times...as I'm sure you're finding humor right now in visualizing this rookie running around a gym.

I was moving to the weakside to get a wider perspective and then flowing down to the baseline as the ball was rotated closer to the basket. Should I have stayed up top more and forget going baseline? I stayed mid-court during press situations and baseline on free throws.

My partner offered up tons of apologies for being late but no suggestions. Can anyone offer up a logical way of officiating a game when this occurs? Again, sorry if this has already been discussed.

Thanks

Note: Coaches, Players & Fans were great during this situation...even though this was a big rival game.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

There's no one standard for one-person mechanics.

Some work table-side; some work opposite; a few work the center of the court.

Most work FT line-to-FT line; some try to get to the baseline periodically.

Since you'll be missing more off-ball stuff, be more aggressive on the stuff you see (you might pass on a marginal illegal screen in two-person; you might call it in one-person).
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 11:30am

Most likely no matter where you work from a big trouble spot will be baseline-opposite from where you are. In other words you're table side and Mr. Driveittothebasketeverytime is in the opposite corner and he goes baseline. You end up having to look through about 6 players to see. Just do the best you can to get into position to see it. It may be going low or it maybe moving out towards the middle.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:00pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
There's no one standard for one-person mechanics.

Some work table-side; some work opposite; a few work the center of the court.

Most work FT line-to-FT line; some try to get to the baseline periodically.

Since you'll be missing more off-ball stuff, be more aggressive on the stuff you see (you might pass on a marginal illegal screen in two-person; you might call it in one-person).
This is great advice. I would add that it takes a great deal more concentration and if you get the chance to close down a bit on a play then that helps sell your calls or no-call. I have a tendency to work both sides of the floor depending on where the ball ends up when an offence is run. I typically will try to stay on the opposite side from the table and go to them for help on their sideline if necessary (only for OOB calls).

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I have worked literally over a hundred rec games by myself. I always work FT line to FT line and alternate sides. I do try to spend about 2/3 of the time opposite table side just to stay away from the coaches.

Administer free throws from the trail position and most of the time you can stand away from an inbounder and bounce the ball to him or her to inbound.

Don't ever be uncertain about an OOB call. Remember the referee's motto: "Occasionally wrong - but never indecisive".
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

I roam all over the place. I just want to get in place to call what ever I can. It also helps when a coach tries to say I am out of position. I am also in shape to move around. I used to subscribe to the FT line to FT line mechanic, but that did not work in my mind. As Bob says you really have to find your own way and philosophy. I happened to work a summer league where I worked multiple games by myself and I just found what worked for me.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 02:37pm

You can not roam all over the place. You will be out of position more often then not. Being at the FT line might at times be too close and prevent you from getting to the other side of the court should the ball swing over. You should be opposite the table and work where you can see everything.

At the jump, I explain to the players and coaches, it's on your honor system on the baseline if the ball goes out. If you can not work it out, it will be a jump ball. For example, ball goes out on the baseline opposite from where I'm standing, if the teams can't agree and I'm not sure, jump ball.

I use to try and go down to the baseline if the ball worked it's way down there. What made me stop was that I found myself over time refereeing the baseline for one team and not the other because no way I was going to go baseline to baseline. It turned out to be more baseline one team, trail the other. Not fair to me so I try to stay center. I could cover more here and even caught an intentional foul late in the game.

I have always worked my trail position towards center court because I had a great look at the ball and everything else. Plus, my Lead would often not pick up the ball in 2-person when it was deep in his corner. The area between the FT line semi-cirlce and half-court is where you start, preferrabily opposite table. If you need to go in from here, you can but don't go down too far. If the ball swings from one side to the other, you can easily go from one side to the other and then in.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 02:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
You can not roam all over the place. You will be out of position more often then not. Being at the FT line might at times be too close and prevent you from getting to the other side of the court should the ball swing over. You should be opposite the table and work where you can see everything.
Here is the thing cappy. I will do whatever the hell I want to do. I am the only person on the game. If I am the only person on the game, I am out of position all the time for something. If I stay table side I will not see plays opposite table. If I state above the FT line I can easily miss things on the baseline. No matter where I stand or move to, I will not see something. If they wanted a set mechanic, they would create one. There are no mechanics in any book as to where to stand. There is only personal opinion and often those opinions are based on what someone else shared with them. No games during the regular season are assigned with one official on purpose.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 03:14pm
MABO Member

JRut, I know there was direct reference to your post but try not to let those comments get to you. I think everyone can see the opinion of the majority is the same as the one you originally stated.

It has been nice the past week or so without any posts from JMO.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
A little slice of heaven......
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
JRut, I know there was direct reference to your post but try not to let those comments get to you. I think everyone can see the opinion of the majority is the same as the one you originally stated.

Who said the comments got to me? I just wanted to state that anyone can do anything at anytime when you are working by yourself. I know his history and I normally ignore his posts as I did in another thread today. You can do whatever you want if it works for you. And I dare anyone show evidence otherwise.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Unlike Jeff, I don't roam much, in fact I'm pretty deliberate to stay in the trail. I do ususally go down to administer free throws. I, too try to stay opposite the table even though I have told the coaches that we're not working under ideal circumstances, to stay in their boxes, and I'll have less tolerance than ususal. Baseline OOBs are tricky, but be deliberate. They may know you missed it but they usually are pretty understanding. When you're flying solo you just have to get it done the best that you can.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Table side works for me

I've done many games by myself and i agree, don't run baseline to baseline cause you will not see anything and will be really tired and almost always out of position. I always tell the coaches before the game that I can't see everything and I may even ask for help from the players on the opposite sideline.
I tend to go free throw line to free throw line tableside. I figure even thought I am closer to the coaches on that side, that they can't see the opposite sideline any better than I can! Please don't listen (not that you ever should) to 3 second chants .... you have the ball and that's all..... thats why they have 2 or 3 referees.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 06:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Here is the thing cappy. I will do whatever the hell I want to do.
This is my favorite post in a long, long time!!!
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 06:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This is my favorite post in a long, long time!!!

Yup. I think JMO has got himself an official nickname.