The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grasping the "Basket" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3620-grasping-basket.html)

rainmaker Sun Jan 06, 2002 01:05am

7th grade boys (see "Tossed two coaches). Coach A gets a time-out, and is busy using every second. Coach B just gives a little pep talk and the boys are back on the floor. Well, they get to goofing around, and when I look up, here's a kid up in the air sort of fidgeting with the net. He drops, then another kid jumps up and grasps the net, and starts doing pull-ups!! TWEET!! I called a T. I was prepared ti invoke 2-3, but no one argued.

Came home and looked in the book, 10-3-5 says, "A player shall not..grasp either basket during the time of the officials' jurisdiction, etc...." 1-10-1 says, "Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring,.. its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net..." So the net is part of the basket and my T was letter perfect?

Comments?

[Edited by rainmaker on Jan 6th, 2002 at 12:08 AM]

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2002 01:10am

You are correct my dear!

1-10-1
Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, <B>and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.</B>

rainmaker Sun Jan 06, 2002 01:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
You are correct my dear!

You are NOT enough older than me to call me, "My dear!"

But it's nice to be correct, so I'll overlook it this time.

Which reminds me, one coach today (not of the 7th grade game of the above situation) kept calling me "Ms. Official" I wonder how long it will be till I hear that again!

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2002 02:03am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

You are correct my dear!

You are NOT enough older than me to call me, "My dear!"

I've got news for you my...uh, sorry,...Juules. I'm not older than you!! :)

You've got me by 4 years.

BigDave Sun Jan 06, 2002 02:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
7th grade boys (see "Tossed two coaches). Coach A gets a time-out, and is busy using every second. Coach B just gives a little pep talk and the boys are back on the floor. Well, they get to goofing around, and when I look up, here's a kid up in the air sort of fidgeting with the net. He drops, then another kid jumps up and grasps the net, and starts doing pull-ups!! TWEET!! I called a T. I was prepared ti invoke 2-3, but no one argued.

Came home and looked in the book, 10-3-5 says, "A player shall not..grasp either basket during the time of the officials' jurisdiction, etc...." 1-10-1 says, "Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring,.. its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net..." So the net is part of the basket and my T was letter perfect?

Comments?

[Edited by rainmaker on Jan 6th, 2002 at 12:08 AM]

I think you made a great call. A lot of folks will just "look the other way" on this type of situation.

Big kudos for you in the area of game control.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 06, 2002 06:34am

Quote:

You've got me by 4 years. [/B]
So,TH,that would make you how old,my dear?:D:

Mark Dexter Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:27am

If not 10-3-5, I'd book the kid on 10-3-8 - unsportsmanlike (showboating, etc.)

BktBallRef Sun Jan 06, 2002 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

You've got me by 4 years.
So,TH,that would make you how old,my dear?:D:

rainmaker told us how old she was in a different post. That's how I know how old she is. I would never ask a lady how old she is! :p

I would also never tell you in which post she confessed. And to find out how old I am, you'll have to find out how old Juules is! ;)

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 06, 2002 05:25pm

Quote:

rainmaker told us how old she was in a different post. That's how I know how old she is. I would never ask a lady how old she is! :p

I would also never tell you in which post she confessed. And to find out how old I am, you'll have to find out how old Juules is! ;) [/B]
That would make you 41,right?Don't feel bad.I got whistles older than you are!:D:

mick Sun Jan 06, 2002 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I would also never tell you in which post she confessed. And to find out how old I am, you'll have to find out how old Juules is! ;)
That would make you 41,right?Don't feel bad.I got whistles older than you are!:D: [/B]
Why should he feel bad? Just cuz he has to wear those magnifying glasses to write his name?
mick

rainmaker Tue Jan 08, 2002 03:48am

Quote:

Don't worry, Tony, I've worked hard to earn these wrinkles and I'm proud of them. My mother, who has always looked very young, taught me to claim to be older than I am, since the inevitable response is, "You certainly dont look that old!! You could pass for ..."

But I've never understood why anyone would want to appear younger than they are. I don't see "old" as an insult. I mean it when I say, it's been a struggle to get where I am and I'm proud of my accomplishments, and don't want to take anything away from myself. I just can't deny my own experiences.