The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Teams going in the wrong direction (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/36175-teams-going-wrong-direction.html)

Jay R Mon Jul 02, 2007 04:08pm

Teams going in the wrong direction

I saw this at a summer tournament this weekend and I was wondering what others thought.

FIBA rules, Team A has AP to start the 4th quarter. The officials bracket the play in the wrong direction and all the players line up in the wrong direction. Team A has control of the ball for 10 seconds when someone recognizes that they are playing in the wrong direction. The officials stop the game and discuss for a while and come up with a decision that I could not believe. They charge Team A with a backcourt violation and award the ball to Team B.
Their logic was that Team A first inbounded the ball in the backcourt (but really the frontcourt) and then committed a violation when they unknowingly brought the ball to the frontcourt (but really the backcourt).

I am in the process of looking up the actual rule for FIBA. What about other rule sets? What about common sense; start over?

Thoughts?

J

deecee Mon Jul 02, 2007 04:19pm

no start over -- just blow the whistle and change directions -- team with possession keeps possession. This is an officials mistake and the teams should not be penalized for the refs screw up

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 02, 2007 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R
What about other rule sets?

NFHS rules are explicit. Everything that happened up until the time that the officials noticed they were going the wrong way stands. You just point 'em in the right direction. That is common sense also.

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 02, 2007 04:36pm

You knew it was coming.....

Under FEEBLE rules, the correct procedure is - when this is discovered, both teams leave the floor, the floor is then rotated 180 degrees to compensate, then both teams drop their rifles and surrender. Afterwards, cheese is eaten by all.

At least, that's what the local IAABO (I Am A Blind Official) interpreter told me. :p

Jay R Mon Jul 02, 2007 05:21pm

I found the FIBA interpretation, it is the same as Federation.

Mark, I knew you'd make a comment. In fact, I would have been dissapointed if you didn't.

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 02, 2007 07:29pm

Quote:

I found the FIBA interpretation, it is the same as Federation.

Mark, I knew you'd make a comment. In fact, I would have been dissapointed if you didn't.

Always glad to oblige, Jay R. BTW - where are you located that you use those rules? No joke here, just curious. Thanks.

Jay R Mon Jul 02, 2007 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Always glad to oblige, Jay R. BTW - where are you located that you use those rules? No joke here, just curious. Thanks.

In New Brunswick, Canada. In fact by next season, I believe every province in Canada except Ontario wil be using FIBA rules. It's not my first choice for a rule set, but basketball is basketball.

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 02, 2007 09:49pm

Quote:

but basketball is basketball.

Gotta disagree with you there. For example, the NBA isn't HS.

Boiler14 Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:03pm

Happened to me this weekend.

I was working a HS team camp with one official per court (that is another topic). It was my 4th game of the day. I noticed the teams warming up on the correct ends.

We tipped it and things went find until I pointed the wrong way (which should have been the correct way) on an OOB call. At this point I just wondered if I had errorred because mentally I was ready for a break.

The next time down the court I had a shooting foul. I asked the shooter, "Which way did you warm up?" He pointed to the other end.

I gathered up the troops and we all went to the other end and continued play.

Stat-Man Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:03pm

NBA Rule

Quote:

I saw this at a summer tournament this weekend and I was wondering what others thought.

FIBA rules, Team A has AP to start the 4th quarter. The officials bracket the play in the wrong direction and all the players line up in the wrong direction. Team A has control of the ball for 10 seconds when someone recognizes that they are playing in the wrong direction. The officials stop the game and discuss for a while and come up with a decision that I could not believe. They charge Team A with a backcourt violation and award the ball to Team B.
Their logic was that Team A first inbounded the ball in the backcourt (but really the frontcourt) and then committed a violation when they unknowingly brought the ball to the frontcourt (but really the backcourt).

I am in the process of looking up the actual rule for FIBA. What about other rule sets? What about common sense; start over?

Thoughts?

J

in the NBA, if more than 24 seconds have elapsed, teams play in those directions for the remainder of that half. If 24 or less seconds have elapsed, all play is nullified and you basically have a do-over. (unsporting acts, flagrant fouls, and points are not nullified, though).

See Rule 2-VI-B