The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/35994-backcourt-violation.html)

scorfield Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:18am

Backcourt Violation?

Team A brings the ball down the court bring it into the front court. Some one on team A shots the ball, it bounces off the rim, and then is batted by an offensive player into the backcourt to another offensive player. Isn't this considered backcourt since team A had possession and control in the front court and possession never changed?

Some one told me that after a missed field goal attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; this is not a backcourt violation? He said that team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established. This doesn't seem correct, is is?

Thanks in advance!

Smitty Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:20am

It is not a backcourt violation. The someone who told you the explanation is correct.

M&M Guy Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:38am

Once the ball is released on a shot, team control ends. Since no one gained control after the rebound, team control was not re-established until the offensive player controlled it in the backcourt. It doesn't matter how many times it is tipped, and by whom, in the front court.

Scrapper1 Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorfield
He said that team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.

Hmmm, let me guess. You were playing in the game and asked a referee about it? :)

scorfield Tue Jun 26, 2007 02:54pm

What if the shot was an air ball? Does that change anything?

RookieDude Tue Jun 26, 2007 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
Once the ball is released on a shot, team control ends.
Welcome to the board scorfield.

M&M Guy Tue Jun 26, 2007 03:08pm

Quote:

If it was judged to be a shot, then no, it doesn't change the fact that team control ended.

All_Heart Tue Jun 26, 2007 03:10pm

Quote:

No this doesn't change anything. Team Control ends when a shot is released. The player who shot the ball can actually go catch his missed airball because there is no team control.

Adam Tue Jun 26, 2007 04:49pm

Yup. The shooter may be the first to touch the rebound, swat it into the back court, and retrieve it. Throughout all this, no one else needs to touch it; it's perfectly legal. Furthermore, the shot may be an "airball."

truerookie Tue Jun 26, 2007 08:21pm

Quote:

NO!!

I was having this discussion with a childhood friend. He stated the shooter could not catch his own air ball and that it was a travel.... I said ok and took another drink of my beer. I knew he would not understand and we both were under the influence so I did not press the issue.;)

Nevadaref Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
NO!!

I was having this discussion with a childhood friend. He stated the shooter could not catch his own air ball and that it was a travel.... I said ok and took another drink of my beer. I knew he would not understand and we both were under the influence so I did not press the issue.;)

NBA rule alert! :)

scorfield Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:45am

thanks everyone for the clarification and the quick response!! Now I know :)

Ch1town Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Hmmm, let me guess. You were playing in the game and asked a referee about it? :)

scorfield: thanks everyone for the clarification and the quick response!! Now I know

& you also owe that official who didn't "make the call" you wanted in your game a cold one!