Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Question Super DIII Camp - Richmond Va 21st-24th

Anybody going?
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

How did it go?

Are you attending? If you do attend, would you mind giving me an "how it went" at the camp's end? It was on my screen to attend this year, but a family function came up. I have heard good reports about it, and I know some of the evalulators/clinicians.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48
Are you attending? If you do attend, would you mind giving me an "how it went" at the camp's end? It was on my screen to attend this year, but a family function came up. I have heard good reports about it, and I know some of the evalulators/clinicians.
The camp was wonderful. The clinicians were very nice and gave great feedback. I would suggest going next year and I will be back next year.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
The camp was wonderful. The clinicians were very nice and gave great feedback. I would suggest going next year and I will be back next year.
Are you from that area of Virginia? I'm considering going next year.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Are you from that area of Virginia? I'm considering going next year.
Yes, I live in Chesapeake, so the drive was only a hour and 15 minutes. The camp is well worth the money.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Yes, I live in Chesapeake, so the drive was only a hour and 15 minutes. The camp is well worth the money.
It will be on my schedule to do next year. Hopefully there will be no other family events to attend. However, it was beautiful in the CT/RI area last week, and the seafood was delicious. Since you live in Chesapeake, will you be attending the VHSL camp in Richmond that takes place at VCU in the middle of next month? I am attending. My email address is [email protected]. If you do not mind, use it to email me a more indepth critique of the DIII camp. I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Attended this camp a few years ago. Definitely not one of my favorites. It was very pricey ($450) for the accomodations and level of basketball. Run by the supervisors for 2 different D3 conferences, yet the first words out of their mouths was "this is not a try-out camp, it's a learning camp." But during the camp it seemed the only ones getting any attention were the ref's that were being considered for contracts. The rest of us were just there to fill out the games. I received very little formal and informal feedback. Had one clinician who spent an entire game talking to a buddy of his who walked in and then he tried to rationalize to us why he didn't have anything to interject about our officiating. Clinicians were very scarce the last day of camp. Left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

If you are just looking for instruction, you get a lot better with Referee's Choice run by Roger Ayers & Mike Eades out in the western portion of Virginia. Looking to get picked up, I've attended two camps, CVAC (D2) and CAC (D3), that were a better deal monetarily.

However, I do know a few officials who have been picked up through the Super DIII camp, so it's not a total bust. I just wasn't fond of how the camp is run.

It's quite possible some things have changed since I attended.
Your right, they do tend too teach alot, but for seasoned officials, its a good refresher course.