The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timeout??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3537-timeout.html)

Bchill24 Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:14pm

I have had the following situation happen to me twice this year. Here it goes: A-1 was dribbling in the backcourt and my partner was the trail. Coach of Team B was calling a timeout. The scorer sounded the horn, I ignored the coach and the horn and said play-on because his team didn't have control of the ball. But my partner granted him the timeout. I, informed the coach he couldn't have the timeout until his team had possession of the ball or the ball was dead. Since, my partner granted him the time-out,he got his wish. Would you guys have let A-1, inbound the ball and make the coach wait until a dead ball or his team possession for the time-out? I also , had a chat with the scorer on when to sound the horn.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:47pm

Under NF rules, you grant the TO, even your partner stopped the game in error. There's a case book play to support this.

Inder NCAA rules, if this mistake is made, you do not grant the TO and you give A1 the ball for a throw-in.

Jim Armstrong Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:50pm

I may be wrong, but I think you should have made A1 inbound the ball, and make Coach B wait until they have possession.
As I'm sure you know #270 p. 43 of NFHS Says If a player or coach requests a time out while the ball is live, ignore it if the ball is in control of an opponent. It would seem to me that this would be a correctable mistake made by your partner. You didn't say anything about coach A, but I am surprised he/she wasn't screaming about the time out being granted to coach B.

ref5678 Mon Dec 24, 2001 01:00pm

T.O.

Alright im gonna make this short sweet and easy to understand under NFHS rules grant the time out. NCAA no timeout

BktBallRef Mon Dec 24, 2001 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Armstrong
I may be wrong,...
Yep, 'fraid so. :)

As I stated previously, there is a case book play to support this.

5.8.3 SITUATION E:
The official erroneously grants Team B a time-out in a situation when Team B cannot have one. What happens now?
Ruling: Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was granted. The time-out once granted cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams.

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 24, 2001 03:23pm

My favorite part of this rule is when team B is out of timeouts and asks for one when team A has the ball - and your partner grants it.

Hoo boy. Explain the T to coach B.

Mark Dexter Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Armstrong
I may be wrong, but I think you should have made A1 inbound the ball, and make Coach B wait until they have possession.
As I'm sure you know #270 p. 43 of NFHS Says If a player or coach requests a time out while the ball is live, ignore it if the ball is in control of an opponent. It would seem to me that this would be a correctable mistake made by your partner. You didn't say anything about coach A, but I am surprised he/she wasn't screaming about the time out being granted to coach B.

Once the whistle is blown, a dead ball situation occurs, and the timeout can be granted.