Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

what would you do?

Fed rules - 2 man crew.
Team A - 26 Team B - 22
1:18 second quarter
Team A inbounding under their basket atble side, ball at the disposal of A1, A3 cuts from oppostie through the lane and uses a forearm to clear out the defender B3 - whistle from the trail.
This foul puts the team B in the bonus.
Crew calls as team control foul and then inbounds the ball.
With the ball in the back court - official realizes error and blows the whistle killing the play and awards bonus to team B - and adds 4 seconsd of time to the game clock.
Other than adding time which was completely wrong,

Would you have corrected the error upon realization?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF

Of course. Why wouldn't you- under any circumstances?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes.

(Easiest question on here in a while.)
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I would correct the error, but would not put time back up.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Of course. Why wouldn't you- under any circumstances?
In a post game discussion several officials stated they would not have initiated
the correction of the error they would have let it come from the table??
Their thought process (though I believe flawed or arrogant) was not to admit to an error if nobody else knew about it it could lead to problems with the coaches later?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
In a post game discussion several officials stated they would not have initiated
the correction of the error they would have let it come from the table??
Their thought process (though I believe flawed or arrogant) was not to admit to an error if nobody else knew about it it could lead to problems with the coaches later?
Well, with any luck I'll never have have to work with clowns like that. The day that I worry about having problems with coaches over any call that I make is the day I change my name to "Old School".

Get the play right.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:26am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Their thought process (though I believe flawed or arrogant) was not to admit to an error if nobody else knew
Do these guys work for the Bush administration???
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:29am
Esteemed Participant

Worked as a clinician at a HS camp this weekend...had a play where A2 steals ball and is 6-7 feet in front of everyone as he lays it in. Second wave of guys coming down court - B3 shoves A3 to the floor to get into rebounding position in case the rebound misses. Center official calls the pushing foul, counts the basket, and then proceeds to award the shooter one free throw! As clinicians, we were not supposed to insert ourselves into the game, so I just watched to see what would happen...they shoot the one shot, Coach B going nuts, T coach B, shoot two more free throws...yikes! Conversation after the game...BOTH partners admitted that they KNEW that C was wrong, but they said nothing because they didn't want anyone to know they had blown it...that worked well for them...there was some butt-chewing after that little episode.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Conversation after the game...BOTH partners admitted that they KNEW that C was wrong, but they said nothing because they didn't want anyone to know they had blown it...that worked well for them...there was some butt-chewing after that little episode.
And rightly so.......for all three of them.

Silly monkeys....
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:54am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And rightly so.......for all three of them.

Silly monkeys....
Actually the butt chewing was aimed mostly (mostly, I repeat) at the two partners who just stood there and watched it all go FUBAR...I'm thinking of writing a book about it: "How to Ruin a Well-called Game in Under 20 Seconds"
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Actually the butt chewing was aimed mostly (mostly, I repeat) at the two partners who just stood there and watched it all go FUBAR...I'm thinking of writing a book about it: "How to Ruin a Well-called Game in Under 20 Seconds"
Maybe next time they'll figure out that if one of the crew screws up that badly, then they've all screwed up.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to understand this correctly.

(a). I have knowledge of kicking a rule; but, I should not correct a kicked rule because, I do not want to upset a coach. RIGHT!!!

(b). My partner kicks a rule and we should not discussed this kicked rule. because, we do not want to upset a coach RIGHT!!!!!

Thanks!!! We this approach I will soon be like another individual who visits the forum.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Worked as a clinician at a HS camp this weekend...had a play where A2 steals ball and is 6-7 feet in front of everyone as he lays it in. Second wave of guys coming down court - B3 shoves A3 to the floor to get into rebounding position in case the rebound misses. Center official calls the pushing foul, counts the basket, and then proceeds to award the shooter one free throw! As clinicians, we were not supposed to insert ourselves into the game, so I just watched to see what would happen...they shoot the one shot, Coach B going nuts, T coach B, shoot two more free throws...yikes! Conversation after the game...BOTH partners admitted that they KNEW that C was wrong, but they said nothing because they didn't want anyone to know they had blown it...that worked well for them...there was some butt-chewing after that little episode.
Oh, my ! That's a narrow plank on which to walk, ...not much room to roam.

So everyone involved noticed the problem, yet the guy that was correct was punished. But, then again, he didn't have to go nuts, did he?

The teams pay for the camp, but do they realize there may be officiating problems with the campers? Will they pay again next year ? Will they castigate the camp ?
Were the camping officials better off having been humiliated ? Why couldn't a clinician step in (as an experienced partner could) and brought the crew together to make it right, and then rehash it at a break ?

I dunno, trial by fire is certainly a way to learn, but a few words from a clinician and everyone is happy.

Rocky, I certainly am not judging your part as an observer, but I wonder if a slightly modified philosophy may be more comfortable for the participants.

It seems the thought may be to eliminate officials, rather than to be creating officials. Although, that can work, too !
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:12pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Thanks!!! We this approach I will soon be like another individual who visits the forum.
M&M Guy??????
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 12:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Oh, my ! That's a narrow plank on which to walk, ...not much room to roam.

So everyone involved noticed the problem, yet the guy that was correct was punished. But, then again, he didn't have to go nuts, did he?

The teams pay for the camp, but do they realize there may be officiating problems with the campers? Will they pay again next year ? Will they castigate the camp ?
Were the camping officials better off having been humiliated ? Why couldn't a clinician step in (as an experienced partner could) and brought the crew together to make it right, and then rehash it at a break ?

I dunno, trial by fire is certainly a way to learn, but a few words from a clinician and everyone is happy.

Rocky, I certainly am not judging your part as an observer, but I wonder if a slightly modified philosophy may be more comfortable for the participants.

It seems the thought may be to eliminate officials, rather than to be creating officials. Although, that can work, too !
The teams knew that it was a training ground for officials...and these were officials who certainly knew better. They were all three Varsity level officials from their various associations, and those were the people we were told not to step in on. In essence, this was a "certification" type camp - these were people trying to prove that they were qualified to work post-season tournaments. Needless to say, they didn't prove that...