The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbounds spot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3532-inbounds-spot.html)

coachgrd Sun Dec 23, 2001 09:37pm

Hello! I think I've finally found a place where I can ask those questions I've always wondered about but were too ashamed to ask.

For example...If I want to call a time out in a late game situation but ensure that we inbound the ball under our hoop, what general area of the floor need we be with the ball when the time out is called? Mind you, we want to inbound it under our hoop rather than on the sideline.

Thanks!

crew Sun Dec 23, 2001 09:40pm

near the basline.

Mark Dexter Sun Dec 23, 2001 10:12pm

Yet again, crew has given an answer that doesn't really help the questioner.

In determining where the ball is inbounded, anything in the key or FT semi-circle is inbounded on the baseline. For the rest of the court, two "lines" are drawn from the far corner of the FT lane to the corner of the court. If you are in either of those triangles, the ball will be on the baseline.

zebraman Sun Dec 23, 2001 10:39pm

Coachgrd,

While Mark Dexter is right on about the rule, remember that <b>you </b>might think you were inside the two lines drawn from the foul line to the corner and the ref might <b>not </b>think so if it's close. To be especially sure, I'd have your player very near the baseline and as close to the key as possible when calling the time-out.

Z

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 24, 2001 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by coachgrd
Hello! I think I've finally found a place where I can ask those questions I've always wondered about but were too ashamed to ask.

For example...If I want to call a time out in a late game situation but ensure that we inbound the ball under our hoop, what general area of the floor need we be with the ball when the time out is called? Mind you, we want to inbound it under our hoop rather than on the sideline.

Thanks!

New howler monkeys are always welcome. BTW - what ever made you think you can call a timeout? You may request a timeout, but only an official can call one.

It's important to make this distinction not just to be anal, but to reinforce the concept to your players that just because you or one of them yells "TIMEOUT", they shouldn't assume a timeout exists at that point and therefore stop playing.

Mark Dexter Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:35am

With the whole "screaming for timeout not yet granted" and then A commits a violation (i.e., double dribble, travel) thinking there is a timeout, do any of you call this any differently based on the level of play?

APHP Tue Dec 25, 2001 09:07am

BASE LINE

Is "crew" a college official. Wonder why they have a "base line" in college. The NFHS have "end lines & side lnes" but not base line. However, the NFHS baseball teams have a base line. Maybe crew should suggest that colleges convert to end lines and side lines.

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 25, 2001 10:54am

Re: BASE LINE

Quote:

Originally posted by APHP
Is "crew" a college official. Wonder why they have a "base line" in college. The NFHS have "end lines & side lnes" but not base line. However, the NFHS baseball teams have a base line. Maybe crew should suggest that colleges convert to end lines and side lines.
Bobby, the "base line" is just a phrase that used to be used for the endline.Went out of general use years ago.I forget myself and use it sometimes.:)

MOFFICIAL Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:50pm

If you have a current (2001-03) NF Officials Manual hanbook at your disposal you should check page 20 Throw-in spot and the diagram on page 21. That should crystalize your query.

bigwhistle Tue Dec 25, 2001 02:04pm

Re: BASE LINE

Quote:

Originally posted by APHP
Folks,

Let's try to remain civil around here. Crew was trying to answer a question and used a very commonly used term. And he gets blasted for it! If you don't like his philosophies, that is fine and good, but there is no need to try to tear down every word someone says who does not have the same ideas as you do.

BTW, many people use the term "base line" for the end line in the front court. They use the term "end line" to be the line at the end of the back court. By doing this, it can help to identify which line is being talked about.

If you don't like this method of communication, then don't use it. If it makes sense and helps you to referee the game better and helps you know what your partners are talking about, then you are better off for it.

paulis Tue Dec 25, 2001 02:08pm

Right on, Big Whistle. Division line; Half-court line. Key; paint; lane, etc. I think a lot of use use terms that are not necessarily found in the book but folks know what we are talking about.