The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 07:08pm
Lighten up, Francis.

More AAU Nonsense

A while ago, I posted about my first AAU games of the season: First AAU of the year

Last weekend I attended a camp and the games that we worked were all AAU games. There was a lot of talent, big kids; but AAU. One of my games was a really good game. Back and forth, pretty good flow, good players. With 6:30 left in the game, it's a 1-point game with Team A leading. Team A brings the ball into the front court and holds the ball out near the midcourt line. Team B falls back into a zone.

Six minutes left, Team A holding and Team B sitting in the zone.

Five minutes left, Team A holding and Team B sitting in the zone.

Three minutes left. . .

One minute left. . .

We're thinking, Team B has to jump out and foul. But they just sit there.

30, 20, 10. . .

At 10 seconds, Coach B stands up and starts to clap wildly, enthusiastically as he watches the clock run to all zeros. Team A wins by one, without ever having to go to the line at the end of the game. We literally stood in our positions for six and a half minutes.

Come to find out, Team B was a game up on Team A in the "pool standings". So if Team A won, the teams would be tied for the playoff spot. Team B also had the point-differential tie-breaker, so that Team A not only had to win, but they had to win by 7 to win the tie-breaker.

So by winning by only 1 point, Team B advanced to the playoffs due to the point-differential tie-breaker.

What a surreal experience.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Why didn't A try to score and win by more than 7?
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 07:16pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I can only guess that they were unaware of the tie-breaker situation. They seemed happy to win by 1.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 07:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Bad on the coaches. Ya gotta know these things! That's what ACs are for!
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
That's what ACs are for!
I don't see how whether or not the gym was air conditioned would have any bearing on the game.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I don't see how whether or not the gym was air conditioned would have any bearing on the game.
Mark, you just brighten my day with that one.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 11:01pm

That reminds me of a good line a coach had once. AAU game. He had his kids doing the stall thing trying to pull the defense out and there were about 7 minutes left. The defense wasn't coming out right away so the coach stood up yelled at his offense, "OK you guys. At two minutes run Arkansas!" It wasn't another 5 seconds before the defense came out. It was pretty funny at the time anyway.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 11:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Mark, you just brighten my day with that one.
My invoice is in the mail. I do not accept Euros.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
A while ago, I posted about my first AAU games of the season: First AAU of the year

Last weekend I attended a camp and the games that we worked were all AAU games. There was a lot of talent, big kids; but AAU. One of my games was a really good game. Back and forth, pretty good flow, good players. With 6:30 left in the game, it's a 1-point game with Team A leading. Team A brings the ball into the front court and holds the ball out near the midcourt line. Team B falls back into a zone.

Six minutes left, Team A holding and Team B sitting in the zone.

Five minutes left, Team A holding and Team B sitting in the zone.

Three minutes left. . .

One minute left. . .

We're thinking, Team B has to jump out and foul. But they just sit there.

30, 20, 10. . .

At 10 seconds, Coach B stands up and starts to clap wildly, enthusiastically as he watches the clock run to all zeros. Team A wins by one, without ever having to go to the line at the end of the game. We literally stood in our positions for six and a half minutes.

Come to find out, Team B was a game up on Team A in the "pool standings". So if Team A won, the teams would be tied for the playoff spot. Team B also had the point-differential tie-breaker, so that Team A not only had to win, but they had to win by 7 to win the tie-breaker.

So by winning by only 1 point, Team B advanced to the playoffs due to the point-differential tie-breaker.

What a surreal experience.
We had a situation a few years back that was quite similar in the last game of our HS regular season play. A win by Team A created a three-way tie for the final play-off spot, which meant that the relevant tiebreaker become the point differential in the games played amongst the three teams involved in the tie.
Anyway Team A knew going in that not only did they have to win, but they had to win by six. So when they were ahead by three with under a minute left, it was Team B who was playing keep away, and the team that was AHEAD was chasing them and giving fouls! But it got even crazier. With only 10 seconds left Team A was still only ahead by 2, so instead of trying to score four more points they simply gave the ball to Team B and fouled. Team B now missed the FTs on purpose(!) and when Team A got the rebound their coach instructed them to toss the ball into the opponents basket, which they did with less than five seconds remaining and proceeded to let the clock run out. This sent the game into overtime and gave them four more minutes to get the necessary points. I don't know how it came out.

In my opinion, it was a travesty of the game.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
... and when Team A got the rebound their coach instructed them to toss the ball into the opponents basket, which they did with less than five seconds remaining and proceeded to let the clock run out. This sent the game into overtime and gave them four more minutes to get the necessary points. I don't know how it came out.

There was many years ago something like that in an international game, when Real Madrid (I believe) scored in their own (the opponents') basket to go to overtime, in order to try and win with a better difference.

To avoid this, FIBA introduced the rule that if a player intentionally shoots in their own basket (which is the opponents' in USA terminology), then the basket does not count and the ball goes to the opponents, who can do what they want (for example, receive a foul and miss purposely the free throws).

Ciao
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Team B now missed the FTs on purpose(!) and when Team A got the rebound their coach instructed them to toss the ball into the opponents basket, which they did with less than five seconds remaining and proceeded to let the clock run out. This sent the game into overtime and gave them four more minutes to get the necessary points. I don't know how it came out.

I call it smart coaching (or is that an oxymoron?).

If B's coach were smarter, he'd have one of his players foul A1 on the non-shot into B's basket.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
To avoid this, FIBA introduced the rule that if a player intentionally shoots in their own basket (which is the opponents' in USA terminology)
Actyally, eg, it's not. NFHS Rule 4-5-1: A team's own basket is the one into which its players try to throw the ball. Football is the other way i think.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 08:36am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
NFHS Rule 4-5-1: A team's own basket is the one into which its players try to throw the ball.
I think EG knew that. He's saying (I think) that in FIBA rules, a team tries to throw the ball into its opponents' basket. So if a team intentionally throws the ball into its own basket (normally the one in which the opponent scores), it's a violation and not a field goal.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 08:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Actyally, eg, it's not. NFHS Rule 4-5-1: A team's own basket is the one into which its players try to throw the ball.
Actyally what eg said was correct. Under FIBA terminology, a team's own basket is the basket that they're defending. That's the opposite of NCAA and NFHS terminology. That's exactly what eg was pointing out. He's talking about a team trying to score points for the other team by shooting at the wrong basket.

Methinks you may have mis-understood him.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Actyally what eg said was correct. Under FIBA terminology, a team's own basket is the basket that they're defending. That's the opposite of NCAA and NFHS terminology. That's exactly what eg was pointing out. He's talking about a team trying to score points for the other team by shooting at the wrong basket.

Methinks you may have mis-understood him.
Actyally, methinks you're right. I mis-understood. That's what I get for trying to act awake before 8:30 am.