The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   From the careful what you ask for file (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/35122-careful-what-you-ask-file.html)

blindzebra Mon May 28, 2007 12:39pm

From the careful what you ask for file

HS club game yesterday.

Team black was down 20 in the first half and 15 at the half, goes on a big run and is up 65-61 with 50 seconds left. Made shot, steal and lay up, 65-65 on the scoreboard 18.5 left, timeout.

We hadn't heard a word from either team all game about the table...HS kids...or score, the black team that was down big and then lost the lead was saying that they should be up 1.

The kid keeping the clock is lost, but we all know the board isn't official, so it's no biggie game-wise. Now the kid keeping the book, has been okay, but is now flustered. They have been keeping track of individual scores, in the official book, and neither team has been keeping their own book, so I go over and start counting.

The result:

White 67

Black 66

I counted again:

White 67

Black 66

We put 67-66 up on the board, black ball on the endline 18.5 to go...black comes down and misses, game over.

The best part is, that one of the coaches for the black team is a D-1 official and he's acting like a coach and trying to tell us we can't change the score on the scoreboard, that the scoreboard gives us definate knowledge that should take priority over a bookkeeping error! You know that error we'd have never found if they hadn't requested that we check the score.:D

truerookie Mon May 28, 2007 01:04pm

Good story!! There is always something about summer ball that helps you work out the kinks.;)

Mark Dexter Mon May 28, 2007 01:38pm

What did the running score in the official book say?

Also, if this guy was a D-I official, he must be working the same conference as OS.

Mark Padgett Mon May 28, 2007 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Also, if this guy was a D-I official, he must be working the same conference as OS.

That would be the "Timothy Leary Conference". :p

Mountaineer Mon May 28, 2007 09:47pm

Quote:

That was funny!

blindzebra Mon May 28, 2007 10:34pm

Quote:

What did the running score in the official book say?

The kid was not keeping a running score...just individual scoring, 1, 2 and 3.

The guy is a D-1 official, I've known him for years. He has 2 years in the Big Sky and 1 in the Pac Ten...I saw him again today, he brought up correctable errors, I told him it wasn't a correctable error, it was a bookkeeping error which can be fixed anytime until the game ends and the final score is approved.

truerookie Tue May 29, 2007 05:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
The kid was not keeping a running score...just individual scoring, 1, 2 and 3.

The guy is a D-1 official, I've known him for years. He has 2 years in the Big Sky and 1 in the Pac Ten...I saw him again today, he brought up correctable errors, I told him it wasn't a correctable error, it was a bookkeeping error which can be fixed anytime until the game ends and the final score is approved.

This type of conversation identifies that he is a U2 at the D-1 level.

tomegun Tue May 29, 2007 06:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
This type of conversation identifies that he is a U2 at the D-1 level.

A classic example of West Coast style over substance.

rainmaker Tue May 29, 2007 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun

Oh... my... gosh.

Tom you couldn't be more insulting if you'd used all 7 of George Carlin's 7 deadly words in one string. I think you'd better take it back immediately.

Mods, I'm personally familiar with several people who work in both the Big Sky and the Pac-10, and I insist that this is an insult on a par with saying that an official would throw a game. It needs to be removed immediately, and Tom needs to be reprimanded. Thank you.

rockyroad Tue May 29, 2007 09:30am

Quote:

A classic example of someone who thinks they know what they're talking about...

Jurassic Referee Tue May 29, 2007 09:34am

Quote:

You just dumped on a whole bunch of D1 officials, Tom. Care to explain exactly why?

DC_Ref12 Tue May 29, 2007 10:33am

So, I know that the scorebook takes precendence over the scorebard, but what if the running score in the book is different from the cumulative score of all the players? Which do you go with?

M&M Guy Tue May 29, 2007 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
So, I know that the scorebook takes precendence over the scorebard, but what if the running score in the book is different from the cumulative score of all the players? Which do you go with?

2-11-11 says, "If the discrepancy is in the score and the mistake is not resolved, the referee shall accept the progressive team totals of the official scorebook."

DC_Ref12 Tue May 29, 2007 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
2-11-11 says, "If the discrepancy is in the score and the mistake is not resolved, the referee shall accept the progressive team totals of the official scorebook."

Poifect! Thanks.

Mark Dexter Tue May 29, 2007 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC_Ref12

In general, you defer to the running score UNLESS you have good reason to believe that the individual totals are correct.