The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 12:58pm
Ch1town

Vets

Any tips/secrets on how to standout (for the right reasons) in camp?
Do's & dont's would be greatly appreciated...
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Work hard. Do the mechanics that are expected at the camp. Always hustle. Nod your head and say, "I understand" when an evaluator offers some input. Show up to camp in shape and fit, looking like an athlete.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
DO THE PRESCRIBED MECHANICS!

Don't add in your own style, I'm the worlds worst about bringing in bad habits to a camp, and it has hurt me. Even though in your area or leagues everyone may think you're cool or "Mr. NBA" or you "got style" the evaluators and supervisors don't give a crap how cool you look.

Never say, "yeah, but..." or my personal favorite, "well, yeah I usually do that, but..." (If you usually do it, what about this game said don't do it now?)

Other than that, work hard, hustle, leave your emotions/heart at the door, and be a good partner.

CLH
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Hustle
Wear a full uniform (even if they say you can bring shorts)
Pregame with your crew
Don't say "yes, but" just say "yes"
Make changes during the game as you get feedback (It shows you have learned and changed)
Ask questions
Meet other officials and assignors
Have a great time
Get a cold beer afterwards or two...or three...or get a driver and go after it hardcore.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 01:47pm
Ch1town

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all follow all instructions. If the person running the camp wants you to attend a mandatory meeting, you better attend the meeting in plenty of time. If the assignor wants you to pay cash and does not want to make change, then do not pay with a check or play where change is needed.

Most people have said the many of the obvious things like hustle and be in shape. I will say that when a clinician is speaking, keep your mouth shut even if they are not talking to you. If a clinician is speaking, go to the conference to hear what they are saying even if they are not instructing you. Do not hold a lot of side conversations about the official working the game even if it is about something legitimate. It is to your benefit to listen to what a particular instructor is saying on a particular court.

I will disagree with Junker on one point, wear what is expected. You do not want to be the only official wearing pants if everyone else is wearing shorts. Not all camps are made the same and certainly not all camps have the same expectations. I attended two D1 camps and one required shorts, the other required pants. The camp that required pants was the only camp I attended for college ball that required pants. I even attended a D1 camp this spring and there was a combination of pants and shorts. I wore pants at this particular camp and I brought shorts as well just in case.

The best advice is to talk to people that have attended the particular camp you are going to attend. If someone has experience attending a camp they will know all the nuances that the camp details. You might learn how different courts operate and what to expect from specific clinicians.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 02:54pm
Ch1town

Right on for the insight JRut, I'll make sure to pack pants as well as shorts. Definitely don't want to be "that guy" at camp.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right on for the insight JRut, I'll make sure to pack pants as well as shorts. Definitely don't want to be "that guy" at camp.
Unless the words are contained in the following sentence...

"Man, that guy is the best offcial attending this camp!"

Of course...I guess if you are already the best official attending a camp, you probably should have selected a different camp.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Here's an idea:

Call the camp director (you know, the guy you're paying money to impress) and ask him if he wants you to wear pants or shorts. That should get his attention in a good way. Shows you're the type that takes control of the situation instead of wondering in silence what others expect of you.

Unless of course he puts it in writing in the pre-camp literature what the uniform is. Then he'll wonder if you can read.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Wear a full uniform (even if they say you can bring shorts)
Have to disagree on this point. If the camp advertises "wear shorts," don't be the one jerk who trys to show off and wear pants.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 06:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Here's an idea:

Call the camp director (you know, the guy you're paying money to impress) and ask him if he wants you to wear pants or shorts. That should get his attention in a good way. Shows you're the type that takes control of the situation instead of wondering in silence what others expect of you.

Unless of course he puts it in writing in the pre-camp literature what the uniform is. Then he'll wonder if you can read.
This is almost all the time the brochure or camp information online. Very rare is this not covered. This is why you do not want to wear something not specifically listed.

Peace
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Hustle, Hustle and Hustle (not the dance). That shows more than anything as well as staying in your primary.