The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

If this has been posted before, I apologize.... I did a search and couldn't find what I needed.

Anyhow.... What equipment bag do you recommend for your "game" equipment. I have used a roller suitcase for this season so far, and it has worked fairly well EXCEPT:

- Rain or ice make it difficult to traverse parking lots.
- Had to cross a newly finished floor at a small HS last week and I didn't want to roll across it.
- Rolling through the garage to my truck is usually a tight fit.

Both instances require carring the bag and of course there are no provisions for a carrying strap. I also need to unpack it when I travel on business, because it is truly my suitcase for business travel.

Since I should buy another one (and will if I ever see a paycheck for games last month), what is recommended.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have a medium sized black Nike bag ($20 at an Outlet Mall). Since I started after the season and am just doing fill-in for the local school district it is big enough for me. It will hold 2 shirts (striped and t-shirt), 2 pants, shoes, 2 water bottles (learned to carry my own just in case), small 3-ring binder and a small bag for misc. stuff and books. Don't know what else you need to carry but that may work.

It has both handles and a carry strap.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I bought one at Eddie Bauer outlet store in an outlet mall. It is huge with compartments on both ends and pockets on the sides. It only cost $29, but I had to spend $75 on other stuff to get it at that price. I carry my shoes, 2 pairs of pants, t-shirt, calender, attache case, shirts (2), deoderant, cologne, shoe polish, water bottles, hair brush, socks (3), ankle wraps (2), whistles (2), lanyards (2), air pressure guage, pump & needles, rule books (4), towels (2) and still have plenty of room. Whew, that's a lot of crap, no wonder I am always thinking "did I forget anything".
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

You forgot the most important items in the bag, Rope to tie the coaches down and a gag to shut them up!!!!
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 05:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

And don't forget plenty of ice packs and ear plugs. Also, a stun gun and cattle prod for dealing with the howler monkeys (coaches).
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I got mine at Target or Wal-MArt or KOhls -- no need to pay for an "official" official's bag.

Plenty of styles to choose from.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
You forgot the most important items in the bag, Rope to tie the coaches down and a gag to shut them up!!!!
Nah. The most important item? A safety pin for when your
zipper breaks the one & only time you do not have a spare
pair of pants in your bag!
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Kitchen Sink too!

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I carry my shoes, 2 pairs of pants, t-shirt, calender, , shirts (2), deoderant, cologne, shoe polish, water bottles, hair brush, socks (3), ankle wraps (2), whistles (2), lanyards (2), air pressure guage, pump & needles, rule books (4), towels (2) and still have plenty of room.
I have most of the above (minus attache case, pressure gauge, pump, and needles) I also have BLACK compression shorts. I like them well enough that I am considering Full-length compression pants.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

OK, but

How about which type of bag itself.... Roller, duffel, other?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I carry just about the same equipment you do minus the attache case and pump -- basically I carry 2 of everything. The brand name on mine is "Diamond" and it is black with dual handles that fasten with velcro. It also has a shoulder strap and has a large pocket on either end. I put my notebook in one end and my rulebooks and pregame stuff (magnetic board, etc.) in the other end. It seems that most of my partners use the wheeled small suitcase type. I have a separate small bag for rec ball because I usually on have my shoes and rulebooks in it.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Bag

My bag is very similiar to the one Dblref described. It also has a "waterproof" pocket on the outside where I keep my shampoo (away from my uni).
Old Sat Dec 22, 2001, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I've used three different bags. You don't want one so big that it takes up the whole locker room. You don't want one so small that nothing fits in it. The one I use is a travel carry on style but I don't roll it on the teams new floor. I paid $29 at Wally World(Walmart) for mine. I also carry a bag for my dirty cloths so that it doesn't smell up my spare shirt.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2001, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

I throw bottles of iced,filtered water into my bag to take to games.The water in some gyms,dressing rooms,etc. can be awful putrid and you can't depend on the home team supplying you anything.I fill up 3 bottles about 1/3 full with filtered water and keep them in the freezer.Before a game that is a short haul away,I take 'em out,fill 'em up to the top and throw them in a separate compartment in my bag.Gives you ice-cold water to drink at half-time,etc.The water usually will keep cool for at least 3 hours while the ice melts.I usually stash a bottle somewhere around the scorers table at the start of each half.When I get a chance during a break in the action,I go for it.Btw,please do not respond by quoting proper mechanics to me re:the proper place to stand during TO's,between periods,etc.Proper mechanics do not apply to thisty,old referees in the twi-light of a mediocre career.:Besides,gotta check the book for errors.:
Old Sat Dec 22, 2001, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm on my second Wilson leather bag. The first one lasted 4 years. I got the first one at Sam's Club and my wife bought the most recent one at Sports Authority for my birthday. It costs around $30.

It's black, has a huge main compartment, with two pockets on each end and a full length pocket across the front. It has 2 handles and a carrying strap. The large compartment holds 2 shirts, 2 pairs of slcks, jacket, compression shorts and shirts, socks, flexbelt, shoes, large towel and 2 small towels. The compartments on the end hold shower shoes and pregame board in one end, while the other end holds toiletries bag, static cling spray, for that stupid Shara jacket. The front compartment holds a shoe brush, lint brush, keys, small change and anything else I have in my pockets, or anything I happen to forget and need to stick somewhere.

A very good bag.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith