The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   George Foreman on the wood? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34859-george-foreman-wood.html)

Ch1town Mon May 21, 2007 09:27am

George Foreman on the wood?

2nd half of a boys varsity semi-final with about 2 minutes to go in a 67–67 game. A player respectfully complains to me about a no-call, but I couldn’t hear a word he said because the grill in his mouth was way too loud. I know what the rules state regarding jewelry, but seeing how he made it 38 minutes w/out my partner or myself noticing (because the player doesn’t whine) would you T him up in a spring league?

I don’t see any concern for the safety of the other 9 players on the court by him wearing the grill. What if the grill was permanent, would you still T him up?

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the inside edge of the boundary line inbounds? Meaning, the thrower can step all over the line & as long as he doesn’t cross that inside edge... no violation. Correct?

Adam Mon May 21, 2007 10:21am

If you deem this a violation, he simply can't play. No T.
The entire actual line is out of bounds. The thrower can tap dance on the line as long as he doesn't touch the floor inside the line before releasing the pass.

BktBallRef Mon May 21, 2007 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town
Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the inside edge of the boundary line inbounds? Meaning, the thrower can step all over the line & as long as he doesn’t cross that inside edge... no violation. Correct?

Correct. Think about gyms that have a two foot wide boundary instead of a two inch stripe. They're both the same.

Scrapper1 Mon May 21, 2007 10:53am

What's a grill, in this context?

If you deem it jewelry, then the player must remove it or leave the game. As Snaqwell said, no T.

JRutledge Mon May 21, 2007 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
What's a grill, in this context?

If you deem it jewelry, then the player must remove it or leave the game. As Snaqwell said, no T.

"Diamonds on necklace, diamonds on my grill, I'm BOSSY!!!"

Actually he would not be wearing a grill. The jewelry would be on his grill. Not sure what the "wood" means.

For those old people that think people still used "bad" to mean "good" then this is for you. Basically in the south it is a common style for certain segments of society to wear a kind of jewelry on their teeth. Usually they are removable or at the very least easily removable. If you watched the TV show "Flavor of Love" you might understand what I am talking about. Or you might see this if you watch many southern rappers or entertainers in the hip-hop style of music.

I would say just like a tongue ring I would not allow a player to wear this with my knowledge. Now I would not go looking for this and asking every player to open their mouth, but if I noticed it I would likely remove them from the game. Now if multiple players had this and it went unnoticed for most of the game this would be a harder decision, but I would hope that I could just remove players from the game until they remove the items. One of the problems maybe there should be a ruling on this from someone because this is not quite the same thing as other forms of jewelry but I can see them as a possible hazard. I am not sure why anyone would want to play with them in their mouths, but I am sure someone sees this from that part of the country where this is more popular.

Peace

Scrapper1 Mon May 21, 2007 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Basically in the south it is a common style for certain segments of society to wear a kind of jewelry on their teeth. Usually they are removable or at the very least easily removable.

I suppose this is roughly what I would've guessed. But I've never seen it, certainly not on a player, so I couldn't really picture it. Maybe I'll google Flava Flav.

On second thought, no. I won't. I think Bob J called that a WOBW.

Dan_ref Mon May 21, 2007 11:21am

Quote:

"Diamonds on necklace, diamonds on my grill, I'm BOSSY!!!"

Actually he would not be wearing a grill. The jewelry would be on his grill. Not sure what the "wood" means.

When I saw this I thought we were having a discussion on wood floors, landing strips, earth mommas...you know, the stuff that makes wood. :p
Quote:

For those old people that think people still used "bad" to mean "good" then this is for you.
Far out. Does cool still mean hot?

:D

Jurassic Referee Mon May 21, 2007 11:43am

Quote:

If you watched the TV show "Flavor of Love" you might understand what I am talking about.

I'd rather watch an alligator chew on my nuts than that ogly l'il sh!t.

But that's just me......

rainmaker Mon May 21, 2007 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'd rather watch an alligator chew on my nuts .....

Wow. That's a picture I'd take a lot of Padgett's meds to get rid of...:eek:

Scrapper1 Mon May 21, 2007 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
But that's just me......

Thank God!

Mark Padgett Mon May 21, 2007 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Wow. That's a picture I'd take a lot of Padgett's meds to get rid of...:eek:

I don't think there's enough meds in the universe to wipe that image away. :eek:

However, I'd like to try that many, just to see. ;)

FrankHtown Tue May 22, 2007 08:14am

A phrase I probably will never hear: "Sorry, Coach. That's a T for excessive bling."