The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA loose ball foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34733-nba-loose-ball-foul.html)

Jay R Thu May 17, 2007 06:53pm

NBA loose ball foul

I can't remember if we've discussed this before, I did a search and couldn't find it.

What is the significance of a loose ball foul in the NBA. I assume the definition is a "common foul with no team control", but why is it called as such. It's penalized the same way as any other common foul, isn't it?

JRutledge Thu May 17, 2007 07:01pm

I believe that this rule allows for there to be a shooting opportunity when a team has reached their limit. Just like we do not shoot FTs on team control foul in NF and NCAA rules, I believe the NBA used the term to signify that you can shoot FTs. Or at the very least that is part of the reason.

I am not an NBA rules expert and do not work games under those rules, so I am sure someone else can clarify this more accurately than I have. I am just guessing based on what I have seen over the years.

Peace

btaylor64 Thu May 17, 2007 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I believe that this rule allows for there to be a shooting opportunity when a team has reached their limit. Just like we do not shoot FTs on team control foul in NF and NCAA rules, I believe the NBA used the term to signify that you can shoot FTs. Or at the very least that is part of the reason.

I am not an NBA rules expert and do not work games under those rules, so I am sure someone else can clarify this more accurately than I have. I am just guessing based on what I have seen over the years.

Peace

That is pretty much the basis for the rule JRut.

Kelvin green Thu May 17, 2007 10:31pm

In the NBA, there are offensive, defensive, and loose ball fouls.

You have to remember that NBA has a slightly different definiton of what we would know in NFHS as team control. When the defense knocks the ball loose then you would have a loose ball foul where in NFHS you would still have offensive team control.

This actually leads to more consistency on plays--- in NFHS ball if you have a scramble for the ball, the team that is in control keeps control until the other team secures it or ball loses team control by definition (shot attempt) so think about this on the scramble

1) if the offense fouls it just goes to the defense
2) same foul but on defense you may end up shooting 1/1 or 2 if you are in the bonus

in the NBA ball is loose it is same foul-same penalty in the same play-

Loose ball definition also changes the backcourt rule slightly since ball is knocked loose then anybody can get it no matter who touched it last in front court. ---IT also changes 3 seconds as well for same reason.

Loose ball fouls also are administered in many ways like the nFHS non team contol situations where we go POI. If they have a double foul while loose it goes to a jump ball, just like we go to AP

Personally I like it better but something we will nevr go to.... e were getting close when we had the interrupted dribble rule (no 3 seconds stuff) a couple of years or so ago but must have been getting too close because we dropped it...

JugglingReferee Fri May 18, 2007 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green
In the NBA, there are offensive, defensive, and loose ball fouls.

Very well said. I thought I understood the rule but yours in a clear answer.

Mark Dexter Fri May 18, 2007 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green
1) if the offense fouls it just goes to the defense
2) same foul but on defense you may end up shooting 1/1 or 2 if you are in the bonus

in the NBA ball is loose it is same foul-same penalty in the same play-

So, during the loose ball, if the team that had been on offense commits a foul, it's charged like an offensive foul? And if the team that had been on defense commits a foul, it's charged like a defensive foul?

Quote:

Loose ball definition also changes the backcourt rule slightly since ball is knocked loose then anybody can get it no matter who touched it last in front court.
Good to know that there's a "TV rule" that may explain some non-officials' confusion on backcourt.

Scrapper1 Fri May 18, 2007 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
So, during the loose ball, if the team that had been on offense commits a foul, it's charged like an offensive foul?

No. No matter who commits the foul during a loose ball, the offended player will shoot 2 free throws if the fouling team is over the limit. That way the penalty is the same, no matter who commits the foul.